You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-07 23:58:59

Gilneas

[SOLVED] *term without Alternative Screen

I'm using urxvt without Screen, and it's giving me some trouble with fullscreen programs like less.
The behaviour I'm trying to reproduce is like Screen's 'altscreen off'. (this all works fine in screen btw, with that option on. but I'm trying out urxvt-tabbed.)

So for example with less what I want is if you quit halfway in a document, what was visible remains visible on the screen.

I'm getting some really messed up behaviour though.
With secondaryScreen/Scroll both false: text remains, but the prompt is moved to the top of the screen.
With only secondaryScreen true: text is cleared after quitting (really annoying with less -F) and prompt to next line.
With only secondaryScroll true: whole screen is cleared after quitting and prompt is moved to top of screen.
With both true: text is cleared after quitting and prompt to next line (same as only secondaryScreen true)

Last edited by Gilneas (2008-01-13 04:30:20)

#2 2008-01-11 04:09:35

Gilneas

Re: [SOLVED] *term without Alternative Screen

I've been trying a few more things these last few days, all without GNU screen.
And it seems aterm and xterm open up programs like less in an alternative screen as well, but neither has an option like urxvt to modify that behaviour.

#3 2008-01-13 01:48:26

mudshark

Have a look at http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/noaltscreen.html

It seems, when the secondaryScreen is turned off, vim less etc. will use the rmcup capability to clear the screen instead. The page above includes an alternative terminfo file for urxvt to disable this capability, so you'll be able to turn it off simply by setting $TERM.

#4 2008-01-13 04:28:36

Gilneas

Thanks! That works great.

Board footer