You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-11 23:28:32

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

XMMS and xine static playing streaming shoutcast..

I was getting a good deal of static in XMMS when I was playing shoutcast media streams. I had setup alsa (2.6 kernel) like the Archwiki said. Local media was working fine..

In xmms I went to options->preferences, selected alsa as the output plugin, and clicked configure..I had to select hw:0,1 for the audio device to make the static go away.

I still have static in xine when trying to play shoutcast streams, however. I have not been able to locate any configuration options for xine to effect a similar change.
Anyone else have issues like this with xine?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2004-06-18 09:49:57

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: XMMS and xine static playing streaming shoutcast..

hmm...found some more info on this.
It appears that alsa has some problems with Via 8233 chipsets. Sound is often staticy and/or is just plain crap..
Found this while performing a magical google search conjuration
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233

I was monkeying around with another distro, and got it to work reasonably well on that. Took alot of fiddling with specific apps. Something really squirrely going on in there. I ended up having to specify oss emulation for alsa, had to force it to use device 2, and had to specify a sampling rate of 48000hz. then I had to configure each app to use arts emulation...
but I now have some decent sound coming out of my crappy old speakers... big_smile

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer