You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-18 12:31:41

kumo
Website

Roaming laptop network settings

I have a laptop that everyday comes with me to university and then in the evening I go home or to see some friends. For each place I have different network settings that I must use: at university I have dhcp and a proxy, at home I have a static ip, and in other places I use dhcp.

At the moment everytime I change network I must change some files (or change the link) and then restart the network and change some environment variables. This is what I currently do, but I was wondering if anyone has a better way of handling the multiple "profiles".

When I was a happy BeOS user I liked the Preferences for the modem since you could define multiple locations  and dial-up information and just switch between them. I wish that BeOS had the same thing for the network, and that I have a solution for now.

I could write a script (preferably ruby) to handle it, but first I would like to know have solved (or would solve) this problem.

btw, I use OpenBox so I don't have any fancy network settings that are probably a part of Gnome/KDE.

kumo.

#2 2004-06-18 12:35:38

wdemoss

Re: Roaming laptop network settings

get quickswitch, it handles all of these things for you. There is an arch package for this. It doesn't do auto sensing of networks or anything, but after you have it set up it allows you to execute a simple command like switchto home or switchto work.

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#3 2004-06-18 15:42:46

kumo
Website

Re: Roaming laptop network settings

Thank you! I will have a look at that program straight away! I didn't expect there to be an autodetection as most of the time it wouldn't work...

Board footer