You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-13 03:27:57

theringmaster
Website

single mirrorlist questions and problem

I upgraded to the new pacman and now when I try to search for or install something Tupac (my pacman and yaourt frontend) will only look at the AUR. I think this is because pacman uses a "single mirrorlist". Could someone tell me how to edit my pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/* to accommodate for this change in pacman.

Thanks,

The Ringmaster

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#2 2008-01-13 03:42:09

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: single mirrorlist questions and problem

Well, what does your current /etc/pacman.conf look like?  Does pacman also have this problem, or is only a Tupac problem?

#3 2008-01-13 03:46:12

theringmaster
Website

Cerebral wrote:

Well, what does your current /etc/pacman.conf look like?  Does pacman also have this problem, or is only a Tupac problem?

Here it is. well...I was able to, as a test, install make (using plain pacman) from the core repo and it worked wonderfully. This does seem like a tupac/yaourt problem as you mentioned. Thanks for pointing that out cerebral! So I'll just have to use pacman until the yaourt/tupac people update there products to work with the new pacman.

[jeff@gnome-box ~]$ cat /etc/pacman.conf
#
# /etc/pacman.conf
#
# See the pacman manpage for option directives

#
# GENERAL OPTIONS
#
[options]
LogFile     = /var/log/pacman.log
HoldPkg     = pacman glibc
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u

#
# REPOSITORIES
#   - can be defined here or included from another file
#   - pacman will search repositories in the order defined here
#   - local/custom mirrors can be added here or in separate files
#   - repositories listed first will take precedence when packages
#     have identical names, regardless of version number
#
#[testing]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/testing

[core]
# Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
Include = /etc/pacman.d/core

[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/extra

[community]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/community

[unstable]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/unstable

# An example of a custom package repository.  See the pacman manpage for
# tips on creating your own repositories.
#[custom]
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

Last edited by theringmaster (2008-01-13 03:50:01)

#4 2008-01-13 03:55:38

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Check out pacman.conf.pacnew - you'll want to use its examples for repos now.  Instead of /etc/pacman.d/{core,extra,community,unstable} you'll want to use /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist instead - for _every_ repo.

#5 2008-01-13 04:00:38

theringmaster
Website

Cerebral wrote:

Check out pacman.conf.pacnew - you'll want to use its examples for repos now.  Instead of /etc/pacman.d/{core,extra,community,unstable} you'll want to use /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist instead - for _every_ repo.

I'm still a bit confused. So I put "Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist" for every entry (core, extra...etc)?

#6 2008-01-13 04:14:20

fwojciec

theringmaster wrote:
Cerebral wrote:

I'm still a bit confused. So I put "Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist" for every entry (core, extra...etc)?

Yes.  If you look inside /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist file you'll see that servers there are listed with "$repo" variable instead of the actual repo name in the address ("ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/$repo/os/i686" instead of "ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/core/os/i686" for example) -- pacman is able to use the correct value for $repo automatically now so it's no longer necessary to have separate server lists for each repository.

By the way -- in order to be able to use yaourt (or to build packages with the new makepkg more generally) you'll need to merge the changes in /etc/makepkg.conf.pacnew into your /etc/makepkg.conf file as well.  Yaourt was also updated earlier today and it works fine with the new pacman as far as I can tell.  No idea about tupac though...

Last edited by fwojciec (2008-01-13 04:15:40)

#7 2008-01-13 04:30:35

theringmaster
Website

fwojciec wrote:
theringmaster wrote:
Cerebral wrote:

Yes.  If you look inside /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist file you'll see that servers there are listed with "$repo" variable instead of the actual repo name in the address ("ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/$repo/os/i686" instead of "ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/core/os/i686" for example) -- pacman is able to use the correct value for $repo automatically now so it's no longer necessary to have separate server lists for each repository.

By the way -- in order to be able to use yaourt (or to build packages with the new makepkg more generally) you'll need to merge the changes in /etc/makepkg.conf.pacnew into your /etc/makepkg.conf file as well.  Yaourt was also updated earlier today and it works fine with the new pacman as far as I can tell.  No idea about tupac though...

err.. I just checked and I don't have a makepkg.conf.pacnew file.

#8 2008-01-13 04:37:58

fwojciec

Well - try building a package using makepkg; if it works then you have nothing to worry about.

#9 2008-01-13 04:45:33

theringmaster
Website

fwojciec wrote:

Well - try building a package using makepkg; if it works then you have nothing to worry about.

Yeah, I installed the 3dpong package and I was able to build and install it successfully.

#10 2008-01-13 09:07:21

shining
Pacman Developer

For the users that are confused about not having a makepkg.conf.pacnew, it's all explained in man pacman, HANDLING CONFIG FILES section :

original=X, current=X, new=Y
           The current file is the same as the original but the new one differs.
           Since the user did not ever modify the file, and the new one may contain
           improvements or bugfixes, install the new file.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#11 2008-01-13 14:08:30

xabbott
Website

theringmaster wrote:

So I'll just have to use pacman until the yaourt/tupac people update there products to work with the new pacman.

Yaourt is working fine for me. Was updated yesterday I believe. Did you install ABS? Take a look at your /etc/makepkg.conf, around line 10 the new default is:

DLAGENTS=('ftp::/usr/bin/wget -c --passive-ftp -t 3 --waitretry=3'
          'http::/usr/bin/wget -c -t 3 --waitretry=3'
          'https::/usr/bin/wget -c -t 3 --waitretry=3 --no-check-certificate'
          'rsync::/usr/bin/rsync -z'
          'scp::/usr/bin/scp -C')

Old one was

FTPAGENT="/usr/bin/wget --continue --passive-ftp --tries=3 --waitretry=3 --no-check-certificate"

#12 2008-01-13 14:24:02

fwojciec

shining wrote:

For the users that are confused about not having a makepkg.conf.pacnew, it's all explained in man pacman, HANDLING CONFIG FILES section :

original=X, current=X, new=Y
           The current file is the same as the original but the new one differs.
           Since the user did not ever modify the file, and the new one may contain
           improvements or bugfixes, install the new file.

Thanks for the explanations shining -- I suspected that was the case when theringmaster said that he didn't have the makepkg.conf.pacnew file, but it's good to know how pacman's logic works in such cases in general.

#13 2008-01-13 14:31:35

jacko

I am not sure if this is relevant, but today when I ran yaourt to install cairo-cleartype I had to install fakeroot. I had this warning before, but was never forced to install fakeroot. This time I was forced too.

Maybe fakeroot should now be a dependency of yaourt?

#14 2008-01-13 14:46:07

byte

It's generally best to have the complete base-devel group installed, before venturing into ABS, makepkg and yaourt.

base-devel
    abs  autoconf  automake  bin86  bison  csup  diffutils  ed  fakeroot  flex  gcc  libtool  m4  make  patch  pkgconfig

#15 2008-01-13 18:39:14

theringmaster
Website

xabbott wrote:
theringmaster wrote:

So I'll just have to use pacman until the yaourt/tupac people update there products to work with the new pacman.

Yaourt is working fine for me. Was updated yesterday I believe. Did you install ABS? Take a look at your /etc/makepkg.conf, around line 10 the new default is:

DLAGENTS=('ftp::/usr/bin/wget -c --passive-ftp -t 3 --waitretry=3'
          'http::/usr/bin/wget -c -t 3 --waitretry=3'
          'https::/usr/bin/wget -c -t 3 --waitretry=3 --no-check-certificate'
          'rsync::/usr/bin/rsync -z'
          'scp::/usr/bin/scp -C')

Old one was

FTPAGENT="/usr/bin/wget --continue --passive-ftp --tries=3 --waitretry=3 --no-check-certificate"

No, I do not have abs installed. I'm a normal enduser that, on occasion, likes to build a package from AUR. Do I need abs installed? Maybe that is why I don't have a makepkg.conf.pacnew file, eh?

P.S. If that is the only change that is made to that file, then I'll just modify my makepkg like you said here.

P.P.S. I just checked my makepkg.conf and it seems like I already have those new line in there. Lucky me.

Last edited by theringmaster (2008-01-13 19:18:18)

#16 2008-01-13 19:04:23

ibendiben

Tupac still asumes pacman (repos) database is in /var/lib/pacman...

It has moved to /var/lib/pacman/sync now

#17 2008-01-13 19:54:04

goethe

Do I have to comment out entries in the mirrorlist to choose a specific server?

#18 2008-01-14 09:55:50

byte

EIther that, or simply put it at the top.

#19 2008-01-18 15:05:14

Pajaro

theringmaster,

from version 0.3.4.2 tupac works with pacman 3.1. Just update tupac. For issues concerning tupac you can either contact me or post a comment in the post where i announce tupac updates.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=38560

So, the sollution is simple: "tupac tupac".

Best regards.

Board footer