You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-18 13:22:06

HyperBaton

Thunar giving me trouble with mounted NTFS drive

Hi,

I'm running Arch Linux with Xfce and Thunar as file manager. I have a NTFS drive mounted like this in /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda5 /media/data    ntfs     defaults,umask=007,gid=ntfs       0       0

I can browse the drive just fine in a terminal, but if I use Thunar to explore the drive, Thunar always jumps back to the root level of the drive (which is /media/data) as soon as I try to access a subdirectory. For example if I want to go to /media/data/music I can see that folder for a tenth of a second and then Thunar brings me back to /media/data). I'm not getting this on any other drive, including samba network drives.

Does anyone have any suggestions what the problem (or solution) might be?

#2 2008-01-18 15:24:50

HyperBaton

Re: Thunar giving me trouble with mounted NTFS drive

Okay I seem to have found whats causing this... I have to set the umask so that the "other" users have execute permission. So if I set umask=007 Thunar doesnt descend into the directory. If I set umask to 006, it works just fine. But I don't understand why? Thunar is run by myself and I am a member of the ntfs group, so why would it need the execute permission bit from "others"?

#3 2008-01-18 16:30:42

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps if you enter "users" in fstab the problem will go away....nix the defaults...

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2008-01-18 19:04:36

HyperBaton

That doesnt change anything... I wouldnt really know why either, user just makes it possible for users to mount, but mounting isnt the problem here i'm afraid.

Board footer