You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-18 16:15:46

smitty

Has anybody tried Frugalware 0.7 DVD ISO?

I heard from someone that Frugalware is good. I went to the comparison page for Archlinux. It looks it has more packages than Arch. Is this true? Also, I read on a review that if you have Windows XP installed it recognizes it as "IN USE", which seemed to scare the reviewer, but he went ahead and everything seemed to install fine. It appears it has as many packages as Debian, to my knowledge. Any thoughts, suggestions, rants, etc. (I look for both positive and negative comments before trying out a distro)? My main question would be, is there an advantage that Frugalware can do that ArchLinux can't do? Thanks. smile

#2 2008-01-18 16:25:07

detox332

Re: Has anybody tried Frugalware 0.7 DVD ISO?

well i used frugalware before stumbling onto arch, it was nice, worked well but for some reason they feel the need to install nearly every wm/dm during the standard install [when i used it, deselecting wm/dm's would cause an install failure].

for me arch works and i really dont see any reason to switch to frugalware.  the community for both arch and frugal are very helpful/kind and both have what i need.

give it a shot if you feel it may work better for you, only you can decide.

~matt

Arch64
KDE4 user

#3 2008-01-18 16:30:12

pressh
Developer/TU

smitty wrote:

My main question would be, is there an advantage that Frugalware can do that ArchLinux can't do? Thanks. smile

No there is not such thing amongst linux distros. You should be able to do the same on each distro, though some make it easier/harder/'more graphical'/etc than others. It's all about preference.

#4 2008-01-18 16:31:31

lucke

As Arch can do pretty much everything, I doubt Frugalware can do more ;-)

I doubt Frugalware has more packages than Arch's official repos + AUR.

I've used Frugalware only for a brief while, but it didn't impress me. It rather made me long for Arch ;-) If you're happy with Arch, I see no compelling reason to move to Frugalware. Perhaps someone else will be able to highlight its possible virtues.

#5 2008-01-18 16:42:32

dolby

i once tried making a frugalware netinstall. what stopped me from completing it was that the package selection made me realise that i was about to mess with something much more GUi orientated than Arch and i didnt appreciate that

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#6 2008-01-18 16:49:24

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

@smitty: why not try it out? Maybe report your findings somewhere, maybe write up a review or comparison.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2008-01-18 17:09:12

arooaroo
Website

cactus wrote:

@smitty: why not try it out? Maybe report your findings somewhere, maybe write up a review or comparison.

That's a good idea. I've had a fondness of FW even though I've never used it. The distro is certainly newer when I last looked the community was certainly not that large. Their package repos weren't small, but they weren't as large as ours.

But don't forget FW are allies of AL - their devs have made good contributions to pacman development (not withstanding a little friction along the way).

#8 2008-01-18 17:47:03

smitty

Cactus, that would seem intriguing thing for me to do. I've thought about writing articles / reviews about distros I've tried, but I don't know how to best approach it and write where the reader would be interested. I guess what I'm really saying is that I haven't done it before! I mean, I've read a lot of reviews on different distros on various websites, but I wouldn't know what the reader would be interested in hearing and what target is most users. The only philosophy I agree with is simplicity, support, and flexibility.
To further elaborate on my philosophy, simple to means the interface is easy to use and there's not much I have read a lot on. Support for me means that there is a strong community tied to it, because I don't want it to be a "gone by tomorrow" distro (there have been many of those). And thirdly, flexibility to me means that I still have the power to customize the way I want it rather being stuck with what is given. It is also implies to me being "stretchable". That is, you can do things you didn't intend on doing, therefore you "stretched" the system a bit. There are things I have learned in this distro that I wouldn't have ever learned on a different or similar one. Perhaps this a bit limited in my perception, but if there is anyone that can shed light on it, feel free. smile

Last edited by smitty (2008-01-18 18:18:06)

#9 2008-01-18 23:24:59

kensai
Website

cactus wrote:

And send it to the newsletter author, so he can have more original articles to add. wink

Seriously, smitty, contact me if you really want to write that much. big_smile

Last edited by kensai (2008-01-18 23:26:52)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Board footer