You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-12 12:11:03

matchil

Configuring system Clock freezes at boot :/

Hi,
When Arch is booting (as well as turning off) it freezes on Configuring System Clock (at boot) and Saving System Clock (at halt). It's on my sister's PC and it happend recently (no mayor upgrades were made there) Its kind an old PC - P400/128RAM and my sister is using it only for www/IM/mp3. I managed to work it around by commenting out the line in rc.sysinit:

echo "0.0 0 0.0 > /var/lib/hwcolck/adjust"

I don't know how to walk around the halt proces not to freez thou.

But its just a walk around. Could it be some hardware problem? Like Motherboard ? Cos' noone was messing around with the system. Could you think of any other explanation or work around ?
Is there maybe a way to ommit the Coclk Configuration step ?

Please help.
Peace.

#2 2007-04-12 14:13:31

ralvez
Website

Re: Configuring system Clock freezes at boot :/

I remember that there used to be a problem updating the system clock on some systems. I had it once on one of my Dell systems.
Can you post the exact error?

R

#3 2007-04-12 20:38:55

Stalwart
Website

I have same issue, but it doesn't hang always, but from time to time

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#4 2007-04-12 20:51:43

matchil

I think I've found the problem - Bad Sectors on a hard drive.

I had to restart the machine several times becouse of the freezing so I got some errors about ReiserFS not being clean, when I booted into a single mode and tried to do: reiserfsck --rebuild-tree it stoped after like 80% of fixing (multiple errors tongue) and gave me a warning about possible bad block/sectors on a hard drive. I'm scaning the hard drive at the moment and the scaning soft found some errors on the surface hmm

#5 2008-01-18 21:56:48

rmores

Same problem here. HP pavillion dv6405us
Sometimes hangs ar system clock, other times it hangs at mounting root system read-only(!?) and sometimes hangs when i´m doing something.

It´s a 1-10 chance that I can actually complete a boot perfectly, and usually for no more than 15 minutes before a hangup.

I wouldnt think it's a bad sector, else all these HPs came bad from factory. Maybe it´s a kernel thing?

I'll try that workaround next time I can boot my laptop.

Anything other than that, I'm VERY impressed with Arch. I wanted more control and simplicity. I tried gento but it just takes too long to compile the entire system(that and twice loosing electrical power these days..), and I probably messed up the whole thing. And I actually think there´s more documentation (inside the conf. files for example) than any other distro i´ve found.

#6 2008-01-18 23:06:42

rmores

I ran fsck on all partitions, they had wrong time settings and other strange things i dont know about. that workaround doesnt work for me , altough I found out that it´s better to boot with the wireless switch turned OFF (physical switch on the laptop)

#7 2008-01-20 05:00:58

rmores

I have found an efective way to circumvent this:

add the following boot options to your kernel in your GRUB conf -> noapic nolapic irqpoll

that makes the multimedia buttons and the suspend/hibernate functions stop functioning, but the system runs stable.
I previously had Ubuntu Gutsy installed on the laptop and that was a fix too.

One could also try irqdebug and maybe probe for some interesting info on the details. I'm not knowledgeable enough to do so yet. It looks kernel compatibility with ACPI instructions with specific HP pavillion 6000 hardware. Any others?

Board footer