You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-01 02:07:47

tulix

Old Firefox and Seamonkey

SeaMonkey 1.1.7 has been out for a while and the Seamonkey package in extra hasn't been updated from 1.1.5 (it's been flagged as out of date for some time).

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so please feel free to move this post to where it belongs.

Thanks

edit:
Please see post #3.

edit2:
Firefox has been out of date for a while as well.  2.0.0.11 has been out, and extra/firefox is still at 2.0.0.10.

Last edited by tulix (2007-12-03 13:34:48)

#2 2007-12-01 02:43:38

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Old Firefox and Seamonkey

What bugs were fixed in the 1.1.5 -> 1.1.7.  If they were just the windows specific bugs I remember the Mozilla platform having recently, then perhaps the maintainer is just not going to upgrade this yet.

On the other hand, the maintainer may just have forgotten about in their busy schedule...  You can always use the PKGBUILD and probably just change the version/md5sum to build yourself.

#3 2007-12-01 03:15:42

tulix

I may need to eat a bit of crow.  Seamonkey has been bugging me about updating the program for a while now, and because Firefox was updated today, I decided to check the known vulnerabilities page, and noticed that Seamonkey 1.1.7 had some security fixes.  I mistakenly assumed that the version that Seamonkey had been bugging me about upgrading to until today was 1.1.7, but it must have been 1.1.6, which doesn't seem to include security fixes.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/securit … #SeaMonkey

edit:
Then again, the 1.1.6 changelog (http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releas … README#new)
lists "Security and stability fixes"
See: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releas … /changelog

I think the most prudent policy from now on may be to simply keep the versions in sync with those released, even if nothing appears in the known-vulnerabilities page, as was the case for 1.1.6, there may still be something important or of interest in the changelog (as seems to be the case for 1.1.6), and even if there isn't, the lack of record might just have been an oversight.  Better safe than sorry I would think would be a good policy when it comes to these things, especially for web browsers.

Last edited by tulix (2007-12-01 03:25:16)

#4 2007-12-02 00:07:30

tulix

Firefox 2.0.0.11 (not to be confused with 2.0.0.10) was released yesterday, so now both Firefox and Seamonkey (and XULRunner?) are out of date, and I can't claim that Seamonkey is being discriminated against any longer.

Slightly more on topic, I think Seamonkey is a good program, and people should check it out.  Based upon the lack of replies to this post, it seems that no one really cares all that much about Seamonkey.

#5 2007-12-02 19:05:42

attila

tulix wrote:

Slightly more on topic, I think Seamonkey is a good program, and people should check it out.  Based upon the lack of replies to this post, it seems that no one really cares all that much about Seamonkey.

I like seamonkey too but more at work. From my view it doesn't matter how the opinion about it is because it is a package from extra so it should be even on the last level which is secure. Perhaps there is another reason which is more technical because all mozilla packages includes so much patches that they look hard to manage them.

#6 2007-12-03 13:40:35

tulix

attila wrote:

I like seamonkey too but more at work. From my view it doesn't matter how the opinion about it is because it is a package from extra so it should be even on the last level which is secure.

Good point.

attila wrote:

Perhaps there is another reason which is more technical because all mozilla packages includes so much patches that they look hard to manage them.

Yeah, I noticed all the patches too.  Does Mozillia really put out a product that needs to be patched so much?  I'd expect more from them.

#7 2007-12-03 18:08:16

attila

tulix wrote:

Does Mozillia really put out a product that needs to be patched so much?  I'd expect more from them.

Hardly to say for me for what all this patches be. It would be better if the maintainer would answer this. But one thing is for me clear: No one use voluntary so much patches smile One other hint to get the last one is to fill out a bug report so the maintainer has a nice reminder.

Allan wrote:

On the other hand, the maintainer may just have forgotten about in their busy schedule...  You can always use the PKGBUILD and probably just change the version/md5sum to build yourself.

This fails because some patches don't work. For me this is not a wonder if so much patches been involved. A try with no patches fails too so we have to wait that the devs find time for it.

#8 2007-12-03 19:44:40

kishd

For firefox you can install firefox-branded from AUR to get the latest version and for seamonkey you could try seamonky-nightly for a cutting edge sometimes broken version also from AUR.

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#9 2007-12-04 03:50:16

Glan

As a seamonkey user I've been waiting for a package update for a while

/me sighs, guess i might have to compile it my self sad

#10 2007-12-04 10:09:10

attila

Glan wrote:

sighs, guess i might have to compile it my self

I fills out a bug report and my suggestion is to give the devs a little bit time. And before compiling it the package from aur looks a little bit easier to handle smile

#11 2007-12-05 18:27:21

attila

Nice Info: My bugreport is closed because the "maintainer will update it as time permits".
Warning: A bugreport is not the recommend way to report that a package is out of date so please forgot my suggestion to create a bug report in such a case.

#12 2007-12-07 13:09:39

tulix

attila wrote:

Nice Info: My bugreport is closed because the "maintainer will update it as time permits".

Ok, let's hope it's good news.

#13 2008-01-20 10:05:54

attila

Okay, because it is now longer that nothing changes for seamomkey i will post what i have done to get seamonkey 1.1.7 to run. I take the PKGBUILD plus seamonkey.desktop from abs and change this:
- change pkgver to 1.1.7
- comment out all lines about the patches
- in the ./configure changing "--enable-canvas" to "--disable-canvas".
  (Without this make stops with errors)
Instead of i disable canvas the examples links from https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405584 seems to work. At the end i must say i'm not a dev but perhaps this hels all other impatient users.:)

Board footer