You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-19 17:42:34

Mandalf

Install without CD

I have am computer here with 6Gb HD.

It have CD/USB/Floppy and network.

We have no woriking OS on it right now. The computer I using right now have no working CDdevice and it's running winows XP so we can't burn the image. And the old computer can't boot from an usb device.

Is it possible to boot an small dist from the floppy and install Arch from the USB? Or Install from the net directly from the floppy?

#2 2008-01-19 22:31:53

Kermit

Re: Install without CD

Can u boot from USB? I yes then u can copy files from Arch's netinstall to pendrive and install OS from Pendrive. For me it's work. Here is the instructions. U can use smaller pendrive than 1GB wink I'm using 128MB for that.

Kermit.

#3 2008-01-20 14:15:37

Jack B
Website

There certainly used to be an install floppy, which would then install arch using ftp.  Let me see if I can find it, if it still exists.

Edit: It appears to be a dead project sad

Last edited by Jack B (2008-01-20 14:19:20)

#4 2008-03-11 13:17:39

kangaroo

Is there no other way to install Arch but from a CD?

#5 2008-03-11 15:09:03

lilsirecho
Veteran

FaunOS has a cd boot program which allows the boot params to enable USB flash device to load the FaunOS  Live system.

It requires a minimum 1GB flash device but I recommend a 2GB device because the FaunOS fills the 1GB to near capacity.  After initial install, the partition is opened up to allow editing of parameters in /etc, alsa and rc.conf.

Over 600 packages are installed and all are archlinux  based.  The latest release will soon be tested and will be based on the latest kernel.

It does not impact any OS you presently have since it operates in ram from the r/o flash drive.

Study the system on the Faunos forums via http://FaunOS.com.

It allows you to install via usb even when your bios doesn't provide that feature.  Check the minimum requirements on the web site.

Best of luck....

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer