You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-21 02:34:39

vik

eve online + wine [SOLVED]

I have eve running under wine, the only problem is I want to run two clients in windowed mode.  I set wine to run in desktop mode and set the resolution so that I get a nice windowed eve client. Now, when I run a second instance of eve, wine opens it in the desktop of the first wine window so the second instance covers the first!  Is there a way to open a new instance of the first app in a separate desktop (i.e. with it's own window?)

Last edited by vik (2008-01-21 15:46:19)

#2 2008-01-21 03:07:28

Roberth

Re: eve online + wine [SOLVED]

Why don't you use the native client?

Use the Source, Luke!

#3 2008-01-21 03:20:19

vik

well
1.) I need cedega, which I don't want to pay for when it works perfectly well under wine.
2.) It actually runs better under wine, and I can run the premium content (as opposed to cedega which can only run classic content - embarrassing really, when ppl are paying for inferior functionality!)

Debate aside, is it possible under wine?  It seems with all the config options in wine, being able to run two virtual wine desktops might be possible but I can't seem to find any documentation covering it!

#4 2008-01-21 03:36:10

F

I tried several months ago to play Eve under wine. I could play but there were some very, very annoying bugs. If i recall correctly, two major issues regarded a double-mouse (as in two cursors being displayed) and the "frame" being a little out of focus....

what i mean by that is, imagine if the image on your monitor moved diagonally towards the top right corner of your screen, so there was a black "L" shape of nothing on the left-hand-side and bottom of your screen. and the mouse "scrolled up into" the top corner (which has now extended beyond your monitor).

Besides that it was completely playable. Perhaps they've fixed these issues, if so i'm going back to playing Eve. smile

#5 2008-01-21 03:53:00

vik

F wrote:

I tried several months ago to play Eve under wine. I could play but there were some very, very annoying bugs. If i recall correctly, two major issues regarded a double-mouse (as in two cursors being displayed) and the "frame" being a little out of focus....

what i mean by that is, imagine if the image on your monitor moved diagonally towards the top right corner of your screen, so there was a black "L" shape of nothing on the left-hand-side and bottom of your screen. and the mouse "scrolled up into" the top corner (which has now extended beyond your monitor).

Besides that it was completely playable. Perhaps they've fixed these issues, if so i'm going back to playing Eve. smile

I really have had no issues.  The latest wine works extremely well and I get good performance.  Just be sure to follow the instructions in the appDB for the game over at winehq (need to do some special things like copy over fonts and install the classic client before applying the premium upgrade rather than just installing the premium client off the bat).

Oh yeah I even made a youtube video (this was before I switched over to Arch): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P1s3aOnDhc

Last edited by vik (2008-01-21 03:54:40)

#6 2008-01-21 15:45:12

vik

BTW, I posted in a forum elsewhere and was told how to get eve in two separate windows:

Easiest way. Copy the CCP folder under .wine and rename it CCP2 or somesuch.

You then can set up a launcher with this parameter (or run from command line):
"wine explorer /desktop=EVE,1680x1050 "C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE\eve.exe"

(using whatever rez you want in place of the one listed.)

For the 2nd window just adjust it as follows:
"wine explorer /desktop=EVE2,1680x1050 "C:\Program Files\CCP2\EVE\eve.exe"

Make sure that you turn off the "restrict mouse" in the winecfg so that the mouse can leave the eve window and you will have multiple copies in their own "desktops" which you can then move to separate desktops or alt-tab between.

To keep settings separate, use this appended to the commands: \end \LUA:OFF which is CCP's way of keeping clients from overwriting different UI and customization settings between clients.

Last edited by vik (2008-01-22 07:00:13)

Board footer