You are not logged in.

#26 2008-01-18 13:52:30

Martyr
Website

Re: e17 in community

Tested and happy. GDM recognizes E17 session too, all is well.

#27 2008-01-18 15:18:04

aRcHaTe

pressh wrote:
sickhate wrote:

just a note to let you know that I'm looking for a solution but have not found it yet.

is there anythuing i can do to help?

Its a sick world we live in....

#28 2008-01-19 10:22:55

miggols99

Is E17 looking any different? Could someone post some screenshots as I am thinking of installing e17 on my sister's laptop. Ubuntu hates me (wireless works in live cd, doesn't work in install) and so does Linux Mint (programs didn't start up - including metacity and nm-applet!!). I've tried all of the main distros (Fedora, openSUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS...) and they either didn't boot or the wireless didn't work, which is crucial. I'm hoping to get a nice, beautiful DE for her and I'm hoping to put something light on it.

I saw a recent (I think) screenshot of e17 with a normal task manager. Is this actually in e17 now? If so it would be so much easier.

#29 2008-01-19 22:43:49

pressh
Developer/TU

miggols99 wrote:

Is E17 looking any different? Could someone post some screenshots as I am thinking of installing e17 on my sister's laptop. Ubuntu hates me (wireless works in live cd, doesn't work in install) and so does Linux Mint (programs didn't start up - including metacity and nm-applet!!). I've tried all of the main distros (Fedora, openSUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS...) and they either didn't boot or the wireless didn't work, which is crucial. I'm hoping to get a nice, beautiful DE for her and I'm hoping to put something light on it.

I saw a recent (I think) screenshot of e17 with a normal task manager. Is this actually in e17 now? If so it would be so much easier.

I will give you some links tomorrow when I'm back home. But yes, there is a normal task manager included in e_modules.

#30 2008-01-20 00:12:00

skottish
Forum Fellow

miggols99 wrote:

If you want a light DE, XFCE may be a better fit than E17. While E17 has a lot of GUI config tools, it's still closer to a WM than a DE.

With that being said, the taskbar module can be loaded and added to any shelf. There's also a main menu launcher module, as well as a bar for launching programs. The one thing that's missing is a system tray. You can use a third party program, but it won't integrate with E17's shelves. This may be a big deal if she, or anyone for that matter, closes a window and can't find it anymore. The E17 devs don't want develop a system tray, but there's at least one in development from an outside source.

#31 2008-01-20 13:44:32

miggols99

skottish wrote:
miggols99 wrote:

If you want a light DE, XFCE may be a better fit than E17. While E17 has a lot of GUI config tools, it's still closer to a WM than a DE.

With that being said, the taskbar module can be loaded and added to any shelf. There's also a main menu launcher module, as well as a bar for launching programs. The one thing that's missing is a system tray. You can use a third party program, but it won't integrate with E17's shelves. This may be a big deal if she, or anyone for that matter, closes a window and can't find it anymore. The E17 devs don't want develop a system tray, but there's at least one in development from an outside source.

Well I went the easy way out and install Gnome. Although I'm a KDE user, I don't hate Gnome. I just prefer KDE. When KDE4 is put into extra (probably July - KDE 4.1) I will install that onto there. But by then she'll be used to Gnome..

#32 2008-01-21 12:32:05

pressh
Developer/TU

sickhate wrote:
pressh wrote:
sickhate wrote:

just a note to let you know that I'm looking for a solution but have not found it yet.

is there anythuing i can do to help?

no, not that I can think of at the moment

miggols99 wrote:

Well I went the easy way out and install Gnome. Although I'm a KDE user, I don't hate Gnome. I just prefer KDE. When KDE4 is put into extra (probably July - KDE 4.1) I will install that onto there. But by then she'll be used to Gnome..

okay cool, guess you don't need a screenshot anymore in that case smile

Last edited by pressh (2008-01-21 12:32:29)

#33 2008-01-21 15:22:35

pressh
Developer/TU

skottish wrote:

The one thing that's missing is a system tray. You can use a third party program, but it won't integrate with E17's shelves. This may be a big deal if she, or anyone for that matter, closes a window and can't find it anymore. The E17 devs don't want develop a system tray, but there's at least one in development from an outside source.

Instead of using a systray you can set a lock on the windows you do not want to get closed by accident

Last edited by pressh (2008-01-21 15:24:37)

#34 2008-01-21 18:28:48

stefan1975

hi all,

i am playing around with E17-cvs for my new Arch install. I really Want to use it as my main DE since gnome is too bloated and fluxbox too spartan, however somehow I have been unable to get it to look acceptable, maybe someone has any pointers for improving my E17 experience since I do like its speed.

1) the (default) fonts look really bad and I have been unable to tweak them to the level I did in gnome with liberation-sans, antialiased, LCD optimized
2) when I change the default juckie bling theme it seems inconsistent, the theme does not seem to update all over the place
3) Is there an .edj edje available somewhere for the gOS theme? So far I really like what they did with E17 (better then Elive imho) but based on ubuntu it is not fast
4) i have compiled and enabled itask NG as a launcher, it seems to work but I have a big black shadow the size of half a screen above the itask-bar, the behaviour is not a smooth as gOS's itask bar either.
5) animations in general are not as smooth as they are in Elive 1.2.4 even with "bling" enabled
6) i installed all the e_*cvs extra stuff too but I cannot seem to find the apps in the menus (entropy or the photomanager / mediaplayer for example) are nowhere to be found, am I missing something?
7) installing E17-cvs on a "virgin" Arch does not have Xorg as a dependency (as apposed to Gnome and KDE) is this correct? Now I manually installed Xorg.
8) any post-installation optimalisation tips? I have seen very pretty E17 desktops but a vanilla E17 is rather plain.

thanks a lot so far.
stefan

"root# su - bofh"
Desktop Hardware: Dell Precision M65 laptop, core2duo, 2gb, 80gb 7200rpm
Registered linux user #459910 since 1998

#35 2008-01-21 20:04:00

pressh
Developer/TU

1. Go to the font settings dialog -> advanced -> set hinting to autmatic
2. Yes not all themes are all that complete yet, though some are pretty complete. Try a few from get-e.org and e17-stuff.org
3. I don't know. Try google.
4. I don't use it.
5. Maybe changing your rendering engine does any good (configuration panel->advanced->engine). That said, according to the e17 devs, bling is not 'there' yet
6. entropy-cvs is not in [community]. If you installed it yourself or from a PKGBUILD you may need to create a desktop file for it. Same goes for the rest of the apps you did not install through [community]. For exhibit-cvs I added the desktop file to the latest release.
7. It depends indirectly on libx11 and more. I don't think it will have a direct dependency on xorg-server anytime soon (if that is what you mean)
8. Go and play with the additional modules. Change your themes. Adding the tasbar module to the shelf may be handy.

#36 2008-01-21 20:19:37

stefan1975

pressh wrote:

7. It depends indirectly on libx11 and more. I don't think it will have a direct dependency on xorg-server anytime soon (if that is what you mean).

i was indeed talking about that. I have been using linux and gnome/xfce for ages but really want something new and light so I am searching for something else, probably E17.

So it does not depend on Xorg-server at all? it uses its inbuild X server? Do I need (binary / non OSS) video drivers then? With xfce it makes Such a difference when I install the binary nvidia drivers and even more so when afterwards I enable compositing in the xorg.conf. There are no such drivers / optimalisations to be done here then?

thanks for your replies.
stefan

"root# su - bofh"

#37 2008-01-21 20:49:48

pressh
Developer/TU

no that is not what I meant. You sure to need some kind of xserver. Please follow the Xorg installation guide in the wiki, install xorg for YOUR needs, and then install the window manager of your choice, which is e17 in this case.
I would certainly recommend using the non OSS nvidia drivers as they will give you better performance. Just install xorg like you would normally do.

#38 2008-01-22 11:04:39

pressh
Developer/TU

stefan1975 wrote:

3) Is there an .edj edje available somewhere for the gOS theme? So far I really like what they did with E17 (better then Elive imho) but based on ubuntu it is not fast

I couldn't find it via google. The only way I was able to get it was via the iso image (mount the iso -> mount the .squashfs file inside -> you can find the theme in there)

[edit]
let me tell you it is not quite worth the effort. The pager is currently broken, there is no theme for the taskbar, and some other things.

Last edited by pressh (2008-01-22 11:20:38)

#39 2008-01-22 13:40:08

stefan1975

pressh wrote:

I couldn't find it via google. The only way I was able to get it was via the iso image (mount the iso -> mount the .squashfs file inside -> you can find the theme in there)
[edit]
let me tell you it is not quite worth the effort. The pager is currently broken, there is no theme for the taskbar, and some other things.

Hi there,

thanks for the effort. I will ponder on what to do then. I did try a few of the themes on get-e.org and although some of them are rather promising (milky) they lack the polish I am used to with gnome and xfce. It can be very pretty, I have seen screenshots in the january thread that make E17 look very attractive so I think I will try to polish it myself as well.

like this for example:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o221 … _scrot.png

what is unfortunate is that the default look is so plain, I installed KDE4 last week and my coworkers were immediately interested even though half of it doesn't work yet and it still is rather slow. E17 is very fast even with the effects it offers but it is a lot of work. I do like the look of gOS, much more so then Elive, and when it has booted (even running from the livecd) it reallyi fast and iTask is as good as engage was, but I too have noticed that here too not all the effects are consistent throughout.

I will do some preparing then, since I need my laptop for work on a daily basis I don't have ages and ages to perfect my setup but I am really getting tired of Fedora8's sluggish response and boot times.

"root# su - bofh"

#40 2008-01-22 13:52:51

pressh
Developer/TU

that is e16

The same theme is available for e17 though: http://www1.get-e.org/Themes/E17/_files … 17_0.1.edj

At the moment I use a customized version of Detour (the svn version). You may want to look into that one too, it is located here.
(You must get it from svn because the pager is broken in the latest version due to the recent api changes)

Last edited by pressh (2008-01-22 13:55:24)

#41 2008-01-22 20:39:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

pressh wrote:

At the moment I use a customized version of Detour (the svn version).

What icon set and GTK theme do you use with it?

Last edited by skottish (2008-01-22 20:45:44)

#42 2008-01-22 21:07:42

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Packages for e17-cvs are now available in community for x86_64 users.

#43 2008-01-23 09:48:43

pressh
Developer/TU

skottish wrote:
pressh wrote:

At the moment I use a customized version of Detour (the svn version).

What icon set and GTK theme do you use with it?

As the e17 theme itself uses Tango icons, I do as well for the gtk apps. The gtk theme I use is Detour, which is build upon the Aurora engine (I may replace it by something else if I find something which integrates that well).

The only actual thing I changed in the svn version of the e17 Detour theme are the fonts (most of this you can do using sed), though I may change some more things if I have the time to find the right config files for those.

#44 2008-01-23 09:56:00

pressh
Developer/TU

Snowman wrote:

Packages for e17-cvs are now available in community for x86_64 users.

Okay now e17-cvs is in [community] for both i686 and x86_64, I will remove the old snapshots from [community] shortly. They will NOT be moved to unsupported as these packages have no use, for reasons described here.

If you still use the snapshots, please remove all of the e17 group and install both the e17-cvs and e17-extra-cvs groups.

#45 2008-01-31 16:36:01

kcr

Hello
for more themes e17-stuff.org

I have a problem with some modules...when you select which module load, there isn't any "configuration" button... for example with snow i can't eliminate christmas trees because there isn't the menu and the same for other modules...trying on google i found that this menu should be in the main menu like Modules -> Snow ->Configuration or similar http://linux-blog.org/flash/snow.html

thanks for help

kcr

#46 2008-01-31 22:24:40

pressh
Developer/TU

kcr wrote:

Hello
for more themes e17-stuff.org

yes it is already in the wiki. If you see things missing or incomplete there, feel free to add it smile

kcr wrote:

I have a problem with some modules...when you select which module load, there isn't any "configuration" button... for example with snow i can't eliminate christmas trees because there isn't the menu and the same for other modules...trying on google i found that this menu should be in the main menu like Modules -> Snow ->Configuration or similar http://linux-blog.org/flash/snow.html

thanks for help

kcr

after you have loaded the snow module go into the menu:

configuration -> configuration panel -> appearance -> snow

[edit]
I think most other modules are also configurable via the configuration panel. If you can't find one, just ask.

Last edited by pressh (2008-01-31 22:29:46)

#47 2008-02-01 14:19:33

pressh
Developer/TU

stefan1975 wrote:

I found some time to look a bit into the gOS theme. It actually is quite easy to get the theme from svn smile (and the pager is also fixed)

DISCLAIMER: The instruction that follow may or may not work, though I think I got everything correct. Just follow them carefully and use your mind tongue. If something does not work it's most likely I made a typing error or so. All command should be executed as your normal user, unless otherwise stated!

Below follow some quick and dirty instructions (maybe, just maybe I will write a script for it, but feel free to put it in a nice guide):

Please install subversion first if you have it not installed  yet (pacman -S subversion)

e17-theme

svn co http://www.thinkgos.com/svn/artwork/themes/gOS/e17
cd e17
make
cd ..

-->> select it in the theme configuration menu

etk-theme

svn co http://www.thinkgos.com/svn/artwork/themes/gOS/etk
cd etk
make
cd ..

-->> change the etk theme using etk_prefs

efm_nav (the navigation toolbar for the file manager)

svn co http://www.thinkgos.com/svn/artwork/themes/gOS/efm_nav
cd efm_nav
make
-->> i'm not sure you can change this per user, to change it globally (note this will be overwritten with every e_modules update), do as root:
mv /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/efm_nav/e-module-efm_nav.edj /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/efm_nav/e-module-efm_nav.edj.backup
install -Dm644 e-module-efm_nav.edj /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/efm_nav/e-module-efm_nav.edj 
cd ..
exit #be your user again!

gOS icons (for menu only, you need to create smaller sizes if you want to use them for example in thunar)

svn co http://www.thinkgos.com/svn/artwork/icons
cp -rf icons/gOS ~/.icons

change icons via the configuration panel. If you want to use them as gtk icons too, create smaller sizes and set your gtk icon theme like you always do.
I've not yet been able to get the splash screen and entrance theme to work, as well as the google search module thing (well, it works but firefox does not seem to take the url correctly).

Note: if you think the fonts used in the theme are ugly, you can change those via the configuration panel.

Last edited by pressh (2008-02-01 14:21:48)

#48 2008-02-01 15:51:22

stefan1975

wow!

thanks for the elaborate instructions. I will certainly try them once I reinstall my pc. When the new iso's are available with 2.6.24 I will install a clean Arch with just e17 and wile surely try this theme. I like the way it worked with the gOS live-cd, currently I have fireball (or something like that) as a theme ans it is starting to grow on me as well although I usually don't go for darker themes.

I hope I will finally get a lightning fast pc when the new iso's are there. E17 starts way faster then gnome and Arch boots super fast compared to Fedora8 ... if only the long wait at starting  Udev would be fixed as well it just might be the fastest setup ever.

is there an ETA by the way on a stable E17? a while back the devs said they finally started working on it again and were planning on getting it out "soon"....

thanks again,
stefan

"root# su - bofh"

#49 2008-02-01 22:07:29

skottish
Forum Fellow

stefan1975 wrote:

is there an ETA by the way on a stable E17? a while back the devs said they finally started working on it again and were planning on getting it out "soon"....

They haven't announced any tentative dates, but development accelerated when the lead developer Carsten Haitzler, "The Rasterman", was hired for OpenMoko development:

http://www.rasterman.com/

#50 2008-02-04 19:44:54

stefan1975

pressh wrote:

[

etk-theme

svn co http://www.thinkgos.com/svn/artwork/themes/gOS/etk
cd etk
make
cd ..

-->> change the etk theme using etk_prefs

well i have been playing around with the gOS theme and I must admit that it is one of the better looking so far, not that there are all that much to choose from. the simply_white one is good too but like the rockstar theme it has these "trailing" selection boxes when you scroll through the menus and that is really annoying imho.

However I cannot change a single setting using etk_prefs or sudo etk_prefs, even after installing th gOS etk stuff. The etk_prefs app starts fine but then I cannot change a single item in all menus and all I see is the default etk stuff. that is just too bad.

Another thing i noticed is that using the itask task manager (which works great by the way, finally a task manager that acutally works in E17) will most of the time default back to the ugly gold "bling" theme even when using another one which really does not look good.

the itask ng bar however does work perfectly, smooth and fast just like engage was before they killed it, i don't know why because i really liked it.

stefan

"root# su - bofh"

Board footer