You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-22 00:22:03

LB06

Unable to mount external drive @ boottime

Hi,

Some time ago I bought an external HDD (Western Digital), which is connected to my PC. It works great, but there's one problem. When Arch wants to mount my fstab partitions it fails to mount my external drive with the message: "special device /dev/sdb2 does not exist". However, when I login and issue a mount /dev/sdb2 it works like a charm. Could it be a bug in the initscripts?

Initially I thought my HDD had to spin up first and failed to do so before the partition is mounted, but that does not seem to be the case. It looks like my BIOS makes my HDD spin up, so it should already be "warm" when the mount attempts are done.

I'd really appreciate a fix, since it's really starting to annoy me to mount it manually (which I always forget). I could also hack together a little script that look in mtab to see if it already has been mounted, and if not, mount it. But that's just WAY too dirty imho smile.

#2 2008-01-22 00:34:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Unable to mount external drive @ boottime

Fstab?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2008-01-22 01:45:12

pyther
Website

Re: Unable to mount external drive @ boottime

If its a usb device, you might be taking you computer a little while to detect and determine that it is indeed a usb device. My external esata hard drive takes 2-3 minutes before its detected by the system (bug in the kernel or something). If that is the case you could possibly add the mount command in /etc/rc.local

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

Board footer