build() {
  cd $startdir/src/
  cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@cvs.xfce.org:/cvsroot/xfce co xfce4/$pkgname
  cd xfce4/$pkgname
  ./configure --prefix=/opt/xfce4
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

Ha!  What you've all been waiting for.  Here's a cvs package for the cvs version of xfce.

EDIT:
Oops, my bad.  Fixed the --prefix.

To get all the libraries and different parts of xfce, just change the $pkgname variable to the different component.  Here's all the available components:

libxfce4util
    libxfcegui4
    libxfce4mcs
    xfce-mcs-manager
    xfce-mcs-plugins
    xfce4-panel
    xfwm4
    xfce-utils
    xfce4-modules
    xffm
    xfdesktop
    xfce4-session
    xfprint
    gtk-xfce-engine-2
    xfce4-iconbox
    xfce4-mixer
    xfce4-systray
    xfce4-themes
    xfce4-toys
    xfce4-trigger-launcher
    xffm-icons
    xfwm4-themes
    xfcalendar
    xfce4-appfinder

Just install the libaries first, and then the rest of the components and you should be alright.  Enjoy the bleeding edge of the greatest linux desktop available!

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-06-14 15:53:41

dp
Website

Re: XFCE4 CVS

please add provides=(theCorespondingNotCVSPkg) and conflicts=(theCorespondingNotCVSPkg) to not make it conflict with the normal version

did you build all of them? how much (im MB) are the binaries? i can maybe add this to the unstable repository if enough people would like the idea, but as my bandwidth is not that huge, i would like to know how much MB i then need to handle - thanx in advance for info

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-06-14 15:59:16

punkrockguy318
Website

I didn't build them all, i built the panel and its deps, and it was really buggy.  I'll fix the PKGBUILD so it works how you said

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#4 2004-06-14 16:04:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

dp wrote:

i can maybe add this to the unstable repository if enough people would like the idea...

I would be interested.... I am sure there are others as well.

Markku

#5 2004-06-14 16:56:47

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

I would rather see one big xfce4-cvs package rather than 20 small cvs ones.
It is not really in line with Arch ideas, but handling cvs packages is far more efficient this way.

Take a look at xfce4 port from CRUX repositories: it is smart and really easy to keep up to date.
However, they applied this scheme to xfce4 stable release, which I don't really understand. IMO, it fits better cvs releases which are evolving every day.

Building 20 packages makes sense when the code is quite stable and won't change every 2 or 3 days.

Another benefit in favor of an all-in-one xfce4-cvs package is that it won't clash with the xfce4 stables ones:
- It can be installed in /opt/xfce4-cvs
- No need for provides, replaces and so on...
- Just modify /etc/profile.d/xfce4.sh in order to set /opt/xfce4 or /opt/xfce4-cvs in the PATH depending on which release you want to use.

#6 2004-06-14 17:39:44

punkrockguy318
Website

hmm, good idea.  It won't conflict with normal xfce if it's in xfce-cvs.  I think I'll do that later today.  I didn't feel like making that huge PKGBUILD but I guess I will later.

#7 2004-06-14 17:40:28

dp
Website

orelien wrote:

It is not really in line with Arch ideas, but handling cvs packages is far more efficient this way.

Take a look at xfce4 port from CRUX repositories: it is smart and really easy to keep up to date.
However, they applied this scheme to xfce4 stable release, which I don't really understand. IMO, it fits better cvs releases which are evolving every day.

Building 20 packages makes sense when the code is quite stable and won't change every 2 or 3 days.

one big pkg: i like the idea: sounds of less work :-)

alternative is to make a group

orelien wrote:

Another benefit in favor of an all-in-one xfce4-cvs package is that it won't clash with the xfce4 stables ones:
- Just modify /etc/profile.d/xfce4.sh in order to set /opt/xfce4 or /opt/xfce4-cvs in the PATH depending on which release you want to use.

so your idea is that a user can have both versions installed, right?

sounds ok, but /etc/profile.d/xfce4.sh is owned by libxfce4util and this will definitely conflict with my modified version - that's where i see the problem not using provides/replaces-way

idea how to solve this?

EDIT:
it's exactly why you cannot have 2 versions of gnome or 2 versions of kde installed on one machine easily

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#8 2004-06-14 20:48:34

punkrockguy318
Website

dp wrote:
orelien wrote:

one big pkg: i like the idea: sounds of less work :-)

alternative is to make a group

orelien wrote:

so your idea is that a user can have both versions installed, right?

sounds ok, but /etc/profile.d/xfce4.sh is owned by libxfce4util and this will definitely conflict with my modified version - that's where i see the problem not using provides/replaces-way

idea how to solve this?

EDIT:
it's exactly why you cannot have 2 versions of gnome or 2 versions of kde installed on one machine easily

I can make an editted version of xfce4.sh, xfce4-cvs.sh.  profile.d scripts are just adding things to the PATH.  No biggie.  I'm working on the PKGBUILD now.

#9 2004-06-14 21:16:39

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

punkrockguy318 wrote:

I can make an editted version of xfce4.sh, xfce4-cvs.sh. profile.d scripts are just adding things to the PATH.

Right. Then, users would just need to chmod -x the one they don't want to use.

FYI, I've got 4.0 installed from arch pkg in /opt/xfce4, and 4.2 installed from source in /opt/xfce4-cvs.
It works nicley, excepted that $HOME/.xfce directory is not really compatible between 4.0 and 4.2: switching back and forth between both is likely to break your settings...

#10 2004-06-14 21:22:58

punkrockguy318
Website

PKGBUILD:

pkgname=xfce4-cvs
pkgver=4.2.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="CVS version of XFCE"
url="http://www.xfce.org"
license=""
depends=(glib2 gtk2 libxml2 dbh)
makedepends=(cvs)
conflicts=()
backup=()
install=xfce4-cvs.install
source=(xfce4-cvs.profile)
md5sums=()

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/
  # Get source via CVS
  cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@cvs.xfce.org:/cvsroot/xfce co xfce4
  cd xfce4/

# Register profile
  install -D -m755 ../xfce4-cvs.profile $startdir/pkg/etc/profile.d/xfce4-cvs.sh

# Set pkgconfig path
  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$startdir/pkg/opt/xfce4-cvs/lib/pkgconfig

# Build stuff
  cd libxfce4util
  ./configure --prefix=/opt/xfce4-cvs
  make || return 1

cd ../libxfcegui4
  make || return 1

cd ../libxfce4mcs
  make || return 1

make || return 1

cd ../xfce4-panel
  make || return 1

} 

xfce4-cvs.profile:

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/xfce4-cvs/bin
export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/xfce4-cvs/man
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/opt/xfce4-cvs/lib/pkgconfig

xfce4-cvs.install

post_install() {
  if ! [ `grep '/opt/xfce4-cvs/lib' etc/ld.so.conf` ]; then
    echo "/opt/xfce4-cvs/lib" >> etc/ld.so.conf
    sbin/ldconfig -r .
  fi
}

post_upgrade() {
  /bin/true
}

pre_remove() {
  cat etc/ld.so.conf | grep -v '/opt/xfce4-cvs/lib' >/tmp/.pacxfce4-cvs
  mv /tmp/.pacxfce4-cvs etc/ld.so.conf
  chmod 644 etc/ld.so.conf
  sbin/ldconfig -r .
}

op=$1
shift

$op $*

That's what I have so far.. That's enough for the new panel... I'll get the rest later, because I can't get this to compile... hmm.. anyone else have luck?

#11 2004-06-15 10:02:32

Zym0tiC
Website

I created a script this morning to compile xfce4 from cvs with one command. The only thing is that it isn't an abs package but a normal ./configure --prefix=/opt/xfce4 && make && make install

I can post the source when i'm back home tonight

#12 2004-06-15 12:09:39

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

FYI, this script may be of some interest too:
http://echobase.homeunix.net/~nestu/upd … _help.html

#13 2004-06-15 12:32:29

punkrockguy318
Website

Alright.. new plan.. XFCE can't be installed as one big package.  It has libraries that other modules depend on to build.  It would be one ugly PKGBUILD with a lot of ditry hacks if I got it in one pkg.

NEW IDEA:  I'm going to make all the dependencies as individual packages (libxfce4util libxfcegui4 libxfcemcs xfce-mcs-manager xfce4-panel), and then make one big package for everything else.  I'm working on it now!  Don't try anything else around here because they don't work currently.  I'll have the PKGBUILDS ready in no time.

#14 2004-06-15 12:38:18

punkrockguy318
Website

Also:  The cvs package will not be able to coexist with stable packages, the conf files are incompatible so it's not worth the trouble.

#15 2004-06-15 13:05:30

punkrockguy318
Website

Here's what I have so far.  I have all the dependencies, and the panel.  If you want them go to http://punkrockguy318.ne1.net.  They're in the xfce-cvs folder or something.  I also tarbelled a package for all the PKGBUILDS. It's called xfce4-cvs.tar.gz.

But anyway, I'm having a problem.  Whenever I load up xfce4-panel-cvs, it tells me it can't find the mcs libraries.  They're in /opt/xfce4/lib, just like they're supposed to!  /opt/xfce4/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf, and I ran ldconfig... If i link the libraries to /usr/lib they work... But why is it doing this?[/url]

#16 2004-06-15 14:10:34

punkrockguy318
Website

Alright... Almost done...  I just need to create a loop that will install all of the other components... It'll be done by tonight, so just sit tight til then..

#17 2004-06-15 16:31:50

punkrockguy318
Website

Finished!  There's about six packages.  You can them from http://punkrockguy318.ne1.net.  I have a tarbelled package of all the PKGBUILDS called xfce4-cvs-v3.tar.gz.  I installed everything, and it's very buggy right now, pretty much unusable, but hey maybe it will work for somebody else! 

NOTE: XFFM is broken.  If you want to try compiling it, add it to the MODULES=() array in xfce4-other PKGBUILD.

What do you guys think?

#18 2004-06-20 15:14:57

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

I've managed to build an xfce4-cvs package.
See http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=32083#32083

Board footer