You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-30 18:41:15

biryoku

Grub goes to grub shell for Windows boot, mickey mouse fix

Okay, I've had Arch a while, and I love it. But I recently saw Age of Empires III, and being fan fan of the series since the original (I know, real gamers play C&C =p), I wanted to play it. So I put XP on my machine on my first hard drive. I had win2k, but AoE III doesn't like it >.<. Arch has always been on my second. I set my bios to boot from the second hard drive, where grub is all happy and full of booting joy.

Anywho, grub came up fine. But when I chose "Windows" it just dumped me into the grub shell. So after puttering around and finding no one else seemed to have this particular problem, I just decided to do what all good computer users do, and try stupid random things. So I got it working, and I thought I might tell ya'll how, in case any one else had this seemingly bizarre problem.

Reminder: the actual problem was that grub used the good ol' chainloader bit and just got dumped into a grub shell.

Solution: make it try root as a different partition on the XP drive. Mine is (hd1,4). It says the disk is not bootable, then I press a key and it boots into XP.

For clarity, here's what the boot commands would look like in menu.lst:

root (hd1,4)
chainloader +1
boot +1

That last "boot +1" needs to be there. Hope someone finds this atleast interesting, if not at all helpful. Any ideas of a better way to do this? Remember, normal settings of rootnoverify, makeactive and chainloader weren't working.

Why use Linux over Windows or Mac? That's like asking: "Why live in a democratic republic over an aristocratic fascism?"

#2 2006-01-30 22:04:41

budman7

Re: Grub goes to grub shell for Windows boot, mickey mouse fix

XP is on the fifth partition of the second hard drive?
am curious if the "boot+1" replaced the normal "map" solution.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual … p.html#map

Into the great wide open without a clue
Registered Linux user 375921
www.google.com/linux is your friend to find stuff.

#3 2006-02-01 00:08:36

biryoku

Haha, no, it's on the first, but what I meant was to tell it to try and load from another partition on the drive. For some reason my secondary partition on the drive with Windows is enumerated as the fifth partition. I tell it to boot from that one, and it fails with the "This disk is not bootable, press any key to continue" kinda message. After you press a key it boots into Windows.

I was not familiar with the map solution, thank you for mentioning it. That must be the proper fix for this issue =].

Why use Linux over Windows or Mac? That's like asking: "Why live in a democratic republic over an aristocratic fascism?"

#4 2006-02-01 13:33:01

mpie

map (hd0,5)
map (hd5,0)

put that in the windows section the its all systems go..

#5 2008-01-23 19:11:58

biryoku

So long ago this solution solved my problem. Wish I had mentioned it sooner =]

Board footer