You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-22 08:43:13

lukkocorse

Noisy cpu at low freq

Hi guys, I'm a newbie but I tought this section was correct for my "problem". If it isn't so, please tell me.

This is the story, excuse me for bad english and boring problem..

I have a laptop with Centrino Duo T7400. I have a dual boot system, Archlinux and XP pro. Before Arch I had Ubuntu.
When I used Ubuntu I discovered the control of cpu, especially "ondemand" that was just great for my needs. I enabled CPU scaling from BIOS (it wasn't enabled by default) and installed all necessary on Ubuntu. It worked fine.
From that time, when I booted XP, the processor became noisy when working at low freq: if I started an application no problem till the freq was higher, but when I worked normally I heard a intermittent whistle, not high volume but quite irritating. I tried disabling the cpu scaling in BIOS and the noise in XP disappeard. Note that I haven't done nothing about cpu scaling policies in XP, I think it's automatic and integrated in the tons of driver of the chipset. It wasn't a big matter because I used more often Ubuntu and the problem simply didn't existed in Linux, so I keeped enabled the cpu scling in BIOS.

Howewer, when I passed to Arch last week I have re-set the frequency control, setting the right limits for freq min and max and intermediate steps (996, 1.33, 1.66, 2.16). It works fine in Arch too. But now I have the noise in Linux and not in XP! That's the same thing, when it works at low freq I hear that noise coming from the processors.

Any idea? I searched in the forum and across the web for something similar but I didn't find nothing.
If you need some particular information ask me.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-01-22 16:23:20

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Noisy cpu at low freq

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2008-01-23 21:02:08

lukkocorse

Thanks for the link, I've read the posts and I think that I can't do nothing..
I'm going to take my pc at assistance center for another problem affecting right speaker. I'll try to ask them and if it's a Core Duo problem I'll give it up. I'm still in warranty period but if it's a problem of the processor is useless changing it.
The strange thing is that it was in XP and not in Linux while now is the contrary. Bah..

#4 2008-01-23 22:54:56

Sigi

This might be of interest for you, too.
I had the same problem and was able to solve it with one of the hints on the page.

Cheers Sigi

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

Board footer