You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-23 11:58:28

silvik

redhat kernel

I wonder if it's possible to use in Arch a kernel compiled for RHEL5, like this one:

http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branc … 4.i686.rpm

If I extract the RPM and copy the files in the appropriate places would it work?

Also, has anyone tried to compile the RHEL kernel for Archlinux or for another distribution (except RHEL of course)? How can I do this?

#2 2008-01-23 16:47:13

iBertus

Re: redhat kernel

You could always just use their config and patches to build a kernel from source. I'm not sure if any RH specific paths would be built into their kernel, so I can't comment about using it with Arch. Still, I'd wager that building from source is the best option. See if you can find their config and patchset online and use AUR to build a kernel from source.

#3 2008-01-23 21:10:07

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Yeah, it should work, but why would you want to do it?

If you want the patches, grab the src.rpm and apply them to an appropriate version of the Arch kernel.

Last edited by iphitus (2008-01-23 21:10:45)

#4 2008-01-24 12:18:47

silvik

iphitus wrote:

Yeah, it should work, but why would you want to do it?

I hope so. Because I have some Adaptec binary drivers compiled for RHEL kernel.

iphitus wrote:

If you want the patches, grab the src.rpm and apply them to an appropriate version of the Arch kernel.

I'll try this, but I'm not familiar with custom kernels on Arch. Should I begin with this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … n_with_ABS ? Or should I grab the current PKGBUILD for kernel26 from abs and customize it?

Thank you for your answers.
Silvian

#5 2008-01-24 12:24:17

iphitus
Forum Fellow

oh, if the drivers are compiled for the RHEL kernel, then I suppose you don't have much choice. Try just extracting the kernel in a temp dir.. then:

Move the modules to the correct location in /lib/modules -- this will be the same as RH.
Move the kernel image to /boot and call it whatever you like.

Then add it to your bootloader and hope it works. If it doesnt, you'll probably need to mess with initcpio -- but it's doable.

Board footer