You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-22 04:07:09

ssjlegendx
Website

HOWTO: Fix VirtualBox (PUEL) After Upgrading Qt

Hello everyone,

After upgrading to the newest version of Qt just a short while ago, I found that VirtualBox (PUEL version, from the AUR) refused to start due to the inability to locate a particular Qt-related file (unfortunately, I no longer have the name of that particular file easily accessible). The problem is somewhat easy to fix, and so I thought I should share the following guide for anyone else who encounters this problem:

With the recent upgrade of Qt, the standard Qt package is now at version 4.3.3-3 (see this thread); however, VirtualBox requires version 3. Fortunately, one can still obtain the older version of Qt from the Arch package repositories (and while you're at it, you can grab patch, which will be needed later). As root (or using su[do]), run

pacman -S qt3 patch

(At this point, your existing version of VirtualBox might work fine; however, I'm going to take it a step further and upgrade to the latest PUEL VirtualBox from the AUR, which already includes the proper qt3 dependency.)

Create a directory somewhere on your system where you can work with the PKGBUILD for VirtualBox (I like creating a temporary directory on my desktop, but it is your choice). Head over to this page at the AUR and download the PKGBUILD and the various "Files" (interfaces, vbox.install, vbox_build_module, and vboxnet.patch) to your new directory. From within this directory, issue the command

makepkg

(this is where patch is needed).

Check the contents of your directory, and you should find that it now contains some file with a .pkg.tar.gz extension. Now it's time to upgrade your current VirtualBox install. As root (or using su[do]), issue

pacman -U <packagename>.pkg.tar.gz

(where <packagename> is the name of your newly-created package, minus the extension listed above).

If all goes well, you should now have the proper VirtualBox dependencies configured. You can now try running VirtualBox as usual.

If you had previously installed VirtualBox Guest Additions on a Guest OS via ISO, VirtualBox might inform you that a virtual image is unavailable. In this case, click past the initial dialog, and a window listing your virtual hard disks/optical disks/floppies should appear. Navigate to the tab that lists virtual CDs/DVDs, highlight the Guest Additions ISO, and click the button at the top of the window to remove it. Restart VirtualBox, and the warning you received previously should (hopefully) be nowhere in sight. smile

Last edited by ssjlegendx (2008-01-22 04:11:08)

#!/vim/rocks

#2 2008-01-22 16:49:02

blixawillbargeld

Re: HOWTO: Fix VirtualBox (PUEL) After Upgrading Qt

hello!
thanks a lot!

but i have problems because qt3 is in conflict with qt-enhanced from kdemod.....

any solution?

cheers
stefan

#3 2008-01-22 23:58:41

ssjlegendx
Website

I don't really know what to tell you.... sad

I regularly use Gnome (GTK), and VirtualBox is really the only reason that I have any form of Qt installed. Various posts on the ArchLinux and KDEmod forums seem to suggest that you are not alone.

It sounds like the newest version of qt-enhanced (supposedly available only with the newest version of Pacman) includes Qt 3. Assuming that qt-enhanced contains the necessary Qt 3 files, perhaps you could create a custom PKGBUILD for VirtualBox that lists qt-enhanced as a dependency instead of qt3. I'm not really sure how well that would work....

You might want to check out this thread or this thread. If all else fails, you should probably try asking around on the KDEmod forums.

big_smile

#!/vim/rocks

#4 2008-01-24 18:13:20

blixawillbargeld

edit: the error was the missing "/opt/qt/lib" line in the /etc/ld.so.conf

added the line and did a ldconfig and everything was fine!

found the solution here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=30165

thanks
stefan

Last edited by blixawillbargeld (2008-01-26 11:09:18)

Board footer