You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-25 03:27:54

Azriel

gnome-btdownload

Hi. I've installed gnome-btdownload using the PKGBUILD available on the AUR, installed both it's depedencies indicated plus bittorrent package, but i can't get it to work, here is the error i get while lauching it from command-line:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gnome-btdownload", line 3, in <module>
    import sys, gnomebtdownload
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnomebtdownload/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from client import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnomebtdownload/client.py", line 5, in <module>
    import BitTorrent.download, BitTorrent.bencode
ImportError: No module named download

I guess it have to do with python module not found, but since i know nothing about python, i don't really understand... Andi  can't seem to find anything about it on these forums.

Any clues anyone?

#2 2008-01-25 10:06:30

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: gnome-btdownload

In case you didn't notice, that AUR package is orphaned and out of date. Update it to the latest upstream version and see if you still have the problem.

You might also like to consider adopting and maintaining it yourself.

#3 2008-01-25 10:47:06

Azriel

Ow... I though that was meant to have something stable.

Well, i've never done any PKGBUILD myself, time to read some howto i guess.

#4 2008-01-25 11:48:49

Azriel

The python thing is giving me a hell of a headache... It can't find it's own modules, namely wx:

import wx
ImportError: No module named wx

And this time it's not even AUR software, it's the bittorrent packages located in the repo... I've tried modifying sys.path to what i "thought" was the correct path for the module, but it didn't work out... If anyone managed to fix this ? It's python 2.5.1.

#5 2008-01-25 11:52:42

bionnaki

just curious - why gnome-btdownload? the client is not so good. If you want something that'll integrate well with gtk2, I recommend deluge - it's a great client with many features you'll need/want. there is also ktorrent if you're into kde stuff.

my favorite client, however, is rtorrent - it's damn good and runs great wtih screen.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RTo … ent_client

#6 2008-01-25 11:56:53

Azriel

Actually, i do use ktorrent. It's just that i don't really like the idea of using the heavy machina in order to download light files. I use ktorrent when i want to keep the .torrent file, and download over many days / weeks / whatever. But for small download, having my little gnome-btdownload windows seems more efficient to me.

It's all about habits in fact, but i find it a great plus to have a little software for little download wink.

#7 2008-01-25 12:01:05

bionnaki

I think rtorrent is what you want. I seed a few hundred torrents with rtorrent and only use a few MBs. And using screen, it'll stay out of your way and run in the background like a daemon.

#8 2008-01-25 13:37:15

Azriel

Well, i'll give it a shot, nothing to lose, right smile.

I'll continue to try debugging this gnome-btdownload thing in case people would be interested though, also it helps me climb up the learning curve, i've learned quite some things concerning Python and Arch package architecture today, and that's not list either wink.

#9 2008-01-25 13:58:25

bionnaki

yeah, give it a shot. but if it's not your thing, maybe give transmission a try.

Board footer