You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-26 14:54:55

MrWeatherbee

"Useful" Bug In Dzen2 But Not In SVN Version

I was playing around with dzen yesterday, and when I tried it on a system with Gnome + Openbox installed, I noticed that if:

- the dzen box was set to only one line
- or the dzen box was more than one line but was initially collapsed with a '-e' collapse action

the default left-click nor right-click action functioned as it should. Instead, when right-clicking the dzen box, the Openbox menu appeared. Also, middle-clicking produced the Openbox desktop selection menu. Of course, normally the Openbox menus do not work with the Gnome desktop.

Just for grins, I created a start-up script that placed a 24x24 pixel dzen box overlayed on my pypanel which could be used to access the OpenBox menu. Knowing that this was unintended behavior, I took a screenshot before upgrading to the SVN version of dzen. Sure enough, the SVN version removes this "functionality". smile

Somehow, the dzen boxes are "drilling" through the Gnome desktop under certain specific circumstances and allowing the Openbox menus to work. Maybe someone could isolate the code and produce a piece of software that allowed a user to create Openbox menu zones on their Gnome desktop while co-existing with the Gnome functionality (maybe something like this already exists).

Anyway, I'm easily amused sometimes, and I thought this was interesting.

screenshotdzenopenboxmegj6.th.png

Board footer