You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-17 10:51:19

Arthanis

Arch default Kernel Configuration and turning hardware detection off

Hi everyone. I installed arch linux here at my PC, a Core 2 Duo 4300 + Intel DG965WH (ICH8 chipset family) and a Nvidia Geforce 8600 Fatal1ty. Everything but the video board is onboard. After installing arch, anytime I booted the system, it froze at "Loading udev uevents [BUSY]", no response from the system, hardware or whatsoever. Then I booted it from the CD, CHROOTed at my installation and edited rc.conf, turning off modules auto loading. Then the system booted ok. So I decided to compile a fresh vanilla kernel (2.6.23.12 ) from the source, using the classic 'make menuconfig ' method. I already did that in other distros, I know exactly my hardware, so I don´t need anything to be detected by udev or anything else. I compiled the kernel and the system hardware freezes at some point (whitch I give up trying to find out why for now). The default arch system with modules auto-loading turned off boots ok, so I was wondering if there is some way to check its configuration at menuconfig so I can compare to my own configuration and find out whats wrong. I also wanna know if  there is a way to simply safely override hardware detection, since I don´t need it. And also where can I find de module list for my hardware (DG965WH)

#2 2008-01-21 21:40:22

wideeye

Re: Arch default Kernel Configuration and turning hardware detection off

the kernel config for kernel26 is installed as /boot/kconfig26. assuming its not a bad harddrive or filesystem, you can try loading modules by hand until you find one that locks your machine. or try acpi=off kernel options, otherwise you'll have find out what udevd is loading that hangs it.

if after booting without autoloading, change autoloading to on, and then run /etc/start_udev again does it hang? you also might get some errors in syslog with that

#3 2008-01-27 02:29:23

Arthanis

Man, sorry for the delay to answer. Thanks, it had something to do with an option in my mobo: Under Chipset->PciExpress -> Test Compliance Pattern . If I turn it off, it solves all of my problems. Thanks everyone

#4 2008-01-27 08:35:54

iphitus
Forum Fellow

File a bug, the option may not be essential.

Board footer