You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-22 18:34:33

lmellen

curious about fluxbox

big_smile Greetings -- I have Arch installed, had a few problems, all fixed. Excellent system!!!!!
     I'm now using kde and have a few questions I'd like to ask before installing fluxbox.
     It's too easy for me to screw things up. I have googled and been to the fluxbox  &
     freshmeat website. I'm still pretty much a newbie and don't always understand whats to
     be done until I actually do it. So if OK with everybody- a few questions?

1) Do I download fluxbox and then a theme, or are they both the same thing?
          2) Should I uninstall kde, or do I leave it there?
          3) What windows manager do I use in rc.conf?
          4) I assune I can download the tarball from the website and use pacman to open it.

Like I said I have a well working system, I just don't want to screw everything up.

Thanks -- Larry

#2 2004-06-22 18:43:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: curious about fluxbox

lmellen wrote:

1) Do I download fluxbox and then a theme, or are they both the same thing?

fluxbox comes with some styles built in. You can then add other styles when you're comfortable with it.

2) Should I uninstall kde, or do I leave it there?

Leave it there for now in case you want to go back to it.

3) What windows manager do I use in rc.conf?

You could leave it as kdm and add fluxbox to the list of window managers to load on log in (I don't remember exactly how to do this, add it to /etc/X11/sessions or something).   Or you could do a console login (no display manager in rc.conf), add fluxbox to your ~/.xinitrc and just use startx. There are other options.

4) I assune I can download the tarball from the website and use pacman to open it.

No.... just run pacman -Sy fluxbox. It's already a package in the extra repository.  You could also use the unstable repository; the devel version of fluxbox has more goodies but is a little rough around the edges yet.

Like I said I have a well working system, I just don't want to screw everything up.

Screwing up is the best way to learn... no harm in starting all over and seeing how much you remember. smile

Board footer