You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-27 15:32:52

BlueFightingCat

Recovering formatted data

Hi,

I made the biggest of mistakes today. I nearly formatted my /home partition. Luckily I noticed quite quickly and reseted my system before it formatted for too long.

Now that partition is corrupted. I now that most of the data there should be safe. I even ran some recovery software that found all my files. Unfortunately it can't recover them.

Is there any way to recover my data. I only need a few files that are essential.

BFC

#2 2008-01-28 10:05:24

BlueFightingCat

Re: Recovering formatted data

Ok here's an update:

I used "testdisk" to check my partitions and they seem to be ok (i.e. I have all my old partitions).

GParted also confirms that all my partitions are there. However my NFTS and /home partitions produce a warning sign in GParted.

Also my system refuses to boot to either windows or linux. Instead it demands that I enter some sort of "system disk" i.e. it is not recognising my NFTS or EXT3 paritions.

I assume there is a problem with my MBR here?? How should I go about fixing it?

What would be the best way to get my EXT3 partially-formatted partition back. In reality I only need a few files that I need to rescue from there. All the rest if backed up.

BFC

#3 2008-01-29 05:42:59

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Try http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Boo … recovering.

EDIT:  OK, that was stupid.  Just re-read your post.

I've done this.  I just can't remember how.  Do a

pacman -Ss recover

and google what you find.

Last edited by tigrmesh (2008-01-29 05:54:06)

#4 2008-01-29 14:52:18

big_gie

My HD crashed some time ago. To recover its data, I used "dd", as explained here http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-64 … ight-.html

I don't know if it can work for you, but can be worth a try...

Board footer