You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-26 10:38:18

Kane

Modules not updated

Hi guys,
After updating my system the other day, and installing the new kernel ive just had a few problems.
I tried restarting today (first time since the update of the kernel) and im getting a kernel panic.
I managed to boot from the install cd, but i noticed it couldnt load the modules, it was looking in /lib....../arch-blah-21 instead of /lib.../arch-blah-23 or whatever it is.
Is this just because i booted from the install cd which has the old kernel?

But after booting into the system from the install cd and running lilo again, i still get a kernel panic after restarting ....
any ideas whats going on?

I did notice whilst booting that there were some messages about hda etc ... shouldnt it be sda.
I havnt changed anything in my lilo config so i cant work out whats happened.

Ive also tried reinstalling the kernel (pacman -S kernel26) and it seems there were no errors.

Thanks

#2 2008-01-29 21:01:57

genisis300

Re: Modules not updated

did you chroot into the your installed system
try this if you haven't fixed it.

boot the install cd
mount your hdd into /mnt (mount /dev/sdaX /mnt)
chroot /mnt
you will then be in your live system
you can then try
pacman -Rd kernel26
and reinstall
by
pacman -S kernel26

Good Luck

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

#3 2008-01-29 21:14:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Modules not updated

Kane wrote:

it couldnt load the modules, it was looking in /lib....../arch-blah-21 instead of /lib.../arch-blah-23 or whatever it is.

Looks like you're running lilo. When you update the kernel it should say "If you are running lilo, make sure to re-run lilo before rebooting" or something to that effect.

This is your problem. lilo needs to be run every time you update the kernel. You'll need to chroot into the system and run lilo before you can boot again. There should be full instructions in the wiki

Board footer