You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-30 19:16:27

cirkit
Website

SATA DVD Burner Not Compatible?

I've got an IDE DVD burner in my arch box that has worked flawlessly. I recently got a new SATA DVD burner and have connected this burner to the box so now the IDE and SATA burner are installed together. The problem is, I can't get the SATA drive to get seen by the system as an SCSI device. I have all the necessary SATA modules loaded. Now are SATA drives not supposed to be used with IDE drives? My motherboard has IDE and SATA functionality. I can't post any output right now since I am at work, but any feedback on what I could try is appreciated. I'm using the latest stock kernel. In the BIOS, it does not see a SATA burner. It sees all other hard drives and the IDE burner. What could be going on?

#2 2008-01-31 04:12:32

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: SATA DVD Burner Not Compatible?

cirkit wrote:

In the BIOS, it does not see a SATA burner. It sees all other hard drives and the IDE burner. What could be going on?

If you have an older Mother Board, the BIOS may not support SATA optical devices.  If the BIOS sees all other devices except the SATA optical device then this may very well be the case.  Is there a newer BIOS you can flash your Mother Board with that will provide this support?

Pudge

#3 2008-01-31 04:33:45

iBertus

I'm using an SATA burner (made by sony) in my Arch64 box without issue. It just worked. I would tend to support Pudge's idea about a lack of BIOS support. If that is the case, not too much you can do about it. Just a question, why did you buy an SATA burner to replace an IDE burner? Is the new burner faster or does it support more features?

#4 2008-01-31 20:02:22

cirkit
Website

Well I didn't change only to SATA, this box I put together has an Athlon64 3200+ chip with an ECS mobo for this type of chip / socket type. Pudge's suggestion is reasonable there, and now that he pointed it out, I think it could very well be with the mobo not supporting SATA optical drives, and just SATA hard drives instead. If this is the case, I'll go ahead and ship it back to Newegg for an IDE burner instead. The reason I bought this new burner was because of its dual layer capabilities. The current IDE burner I have is great but only supports double layer, not dual. I'll try to see if I can flash the BIOS. Thanks for both your replies, I'll keep you updated.

Board footer