You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-31 23:31:26

skinney

dmraid problems (fake raid0)

Ok.

I'm trying to get two hard drives to work in fake raid0 (striping). I downloaded dmraid, added dmraid to the module hook in mkinitcpio.conf and rebuilt the kernel image. i then ran dmraid -ay and used gparted to create an ext3 partition on the raid set (/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc). I reboot and i see several errors like this in dmesg:

Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 1953535872
attempt to access beyond end of device

Opening nautilus i can see a 931,5GB drive, but it won't mount becouse:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad codepage on /dev/sdc1 (or something like that)

So i run dmraid -ay once again and try to mount the ext3 partition i created earlier manually. Which actually works! But this requires me to run dmraid -ay on every boot and then mount manually afterwards. But i'm still worried by the buffer I/O errors on boot-up, is sdc getting corrupted by the raid? Would setting the raid flag on the ext3 partition make any difference? What should i do?

Thanks!

#2 2008-02-01 22:10:11

loosec

Re: dmraid problems (fake raid0)

I really hope you created the partition on /dev/mapper/somename and not on /dev/sd*.  When using fakeraid, all you should ever touch are the /dev/mapper devices. /dev/sdc1 ofcourse has a logical block that goes beyond the device since it's part of a disk Twice it's size but is itself completely unaware of the fact.

Edit: Always a good idea to actually READ the post before answering. smile

So the problem is in nautilus and bootup? This makes me think you put something very wrong in /etc/fstab. dmraid -ay should be run on startup automagically by the hook.

Last edited by loosec (2008-02-02 11:43:46)

Board footer