You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-02 15:29:23

leo2501

Sound Recording. Leaving PC recording sound

Hi!, i need to leave the PC recording sound during my day work, usually around 10 hours, so i want a CLI app or command, to leave the computer recording for several hours, then, when back home, open the sound in audacity and see if there are anomalyes, so i can "see" the sound and view if there are unwanted noises in the house when its alone, (NOTE: I KNOW ITS FUNNY, but i need achieve this to se f my dog do a lot of barking and noises and see if the neighbors have reason to complain...)

i read that i can do that with the rec command something like:

rec test.ogg + CTRL C + play test.ogg

But i need a format to record that not fills my hard drive and has a minimun quality to anderstand whats happening home, (what things my dog is destroying, lol) so i can record 9-10 hours

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#2 2008-02-02 17:11:41

el_zoona
Website

Re: Sound Recording. Leaving PC recording sound

Really funny, :-P.

Why just don't leave Audacity open and recording? (Auto-ask:maybe because it records in wav or some lossless way?)

I don't remember how Audacity works, but can you record a sample file, save it with the codec you prefer and then put it to record again?

If my aswer is useless, try with Musix or other audio distro.

Saludos :-).

// Send more Chuck Berry

#3 2008-02-02 19:02:30

pyther
Website

Is rec able to record in ogg? I was using rec about a year or two ago and the max size for a wav file is something like 4GB so it cuts off after X hours. (which will be way before your 10hours)

Edit: I guess it now can! I'll be darned!

Last edited by pyther (2008-02-02 19:58:43)

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#4 2008-02-02 19:56:29

pyther
Website

How much space do you have?
I was playing around with rec and I was able to do rec -c 2 test.mp3 (-c 2 gave me two channels)

If you do something like that then open up the file in audacity after the 10 hours, you should be able to see where there is noise and where there isn't.

You'd have set a capture in alsa for your mic, and you'd probably want 1 channel instead of two. You could just simply run the command in terminal and hit ctrl+c when you get home, or you could setup a crontab.

#5 2008-02-03 00:57:35

pyther
Website

I made a script which records from the alsa capture device (LINE-IN, MIC, etc...)
I posted in on forum here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 91#p325491

Might be useful to you!

#6 2008-02-03 13:14:16

leo2501

GREAT SCRIPT! i wil try it when i bought a new microphone... the one i have just broken tongue

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Board footer