You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-03 18:05:36

floke

Open Office splash - new logo?

Anyone know when we can get a new splash for OOo with our great new logo on it?

Just wondering wink!

#2 2008-02-03 18:17:25

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Open Office splash - new logo?

There's talk on the mailing list about dropping all Arch logo branding off apps. I don't know if it was settled if that would be the case.

#3 2008-02-03 19:00:46

thayer
Fellow
Website

I don't think a ruling has been made yet, one way or the other.  I think most splash screens are a waste of space, with OOo being an exception since it takes so bloody long to load that first time.

The contradiction is that Arch typically keeps packages as close to the upstream source as possible, so a customized splash screen for any application seems to deviate from this goal; not to mention that the default OOo splashes look quite good themselves:

http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/gal … n_Logo.png

http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/gal … n_Logo.png

http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/gal … -About.png

An alternative might be to use a somewhat custom splash like the following:

ooo-splash.png

But this still means modifying the upstream packages at every release.

Last edited by thayer (2008-02-03 19:03:25)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2008-02-03 20:50:38

floke

I agree - but how much of that first load is for the splash screen? It can't be that much surely?

#5 2008-02-03 21:27:12

thayer
Fellow
Website

floke wrote:

I agree - but how much of that first load is for the splash screen? It can't be that much surely?

I agree and that's my point... OOo really does deserve a splash because it's one of the few applications that take so long to load.  Without a splash, some users might not realize it was loading.

Most other applications that use splash screens really shouldn't.  Things like the GNOME session splash I think are a waste of space and more of an annoyance than anything else.  I think Banshee or Rhythmbox (I can't remember which) was another useless splash screen--if a media player loads so slow that it needs its own splash screen than it's not a very good media player to begin with. 

The fact is that with today's hardware most applications should load fast enough to not require a notification window telling the user it's loading.

OOo on the other hand is a monster of code and load-times can be excruciatingly long.  With that said, I think the upstream splash is professional enough that it doesn't warrant a "rebranding" of the Arch logo, particularly when it goes against the overall ideals that Arch shouldn't unnecessarily modify upstream packages.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#6 2008-02-03 22:04:06

floke

Yeah it doesn't really matter. Seems like the effort (Arch splash) outweighs the gain (a quick look at first run). But it just looks slightly odd with the old logo on it. I'd change my splash (and I might do after this) but really - can I be bothered?

And agree on the Gnome splash - its just rubbish!

Board footer