You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-03 19:06:44

chulapaluma

kde4 Problems

Hi,

i know are some thread existing, but it is not the same problem, as i have.

Ive setup in the inittab that kdm has to start - but it doesnt.

If i type in as root kdm it starts but there comes an error "could not start kstartupconfig4.check your installation"

If i log in in kdm with my useraccount , there ist a mistake :" Call to lnusertemp failed {temporary directories full?}. Check your installation. "

Why???

#2 2008-02-03 20:34:40

Jessehk

Re: kde4 Problems

I could be mistaken, but I don't think KDE4 is working with KDM yet.
On another note, how did you install KDE4? Did you compile from source, or did you use tardo's repo (for example)?

Last edited by Jessehk (2008-02-03 20:35:21)

#3 2008-02-03 20:45:52

chulapaluma

tanis repo...but it worked fine.I decided to make a fresh arch installation...

But when i start with root, the errors comes too

#4 2008-02-03 21:34:05

violagirl23

You could have a permission problem for your regular user.  Make sure you have write permission and ownership of your home directory, particularly the ~<user>/tmp directory.  If not, su to root and try
chmod 700 -Rv /home/<user> (possibly /home/<user>/ or /home/<user>/tmp)
Or if you just don't seem to own it at all.... chown -R <user>:users /home/<user>/
Or....
Here's a suggestion:

If you run into
"Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?).
Check your installation."

try this:

mkdir /var/tmp/kde-kde4

This seems to apply for your user account too, /home/<user>/tmp/kde-kde4.
But it might not be CALLED kde-kde4, it could be something else for Arch.  But I THINK it is.
It seems like the problem here is, it might be possible the program cannot create the directory for you and already needs for it to exist.  So if it doesn't, it errors and says that the directory is filled, when in fact, it simply does not exist.
In /var/tmp, is there a folder with the name kde in it?  If not, that might be your problem.  Try to fix the /var/tmp/kdewhatever folder problem first, perhaps making a folder in /var/tmp called kde-kde4 and THEN running the program, and then try to mimick it with your regular user account, by making a /home/<user>/kde-kde4 directory, possibly fixing your permissions if necessary.

But for root if that is not the problem...
You could also try
rm -rf ~/.kde4
Or if that's too much for you (it WOULD remove settings, etc.), try checking permission on the file ~/.kde4 as well.
chmod 700 -Rv /home/<user>/.kde would fix it if you don't have the right permissions or something.  Or if it's still just a wrong ownership, chown -R <user>:users /home/<user>/.kde4
I wonder if KDM needs a .kde folder as well and that's why it's not working.
If all else fails, try ln -s .kde4 .kde and see if that helps.  Maybe not, but worth a shot!

Perhaps this may also be of some help:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-qt-k … 19482.html

Last edited by violagirl23 (2008-02-03 21:54:06)

"You can't just ask to borrow somebody else's lampshade. It's AWKWARD!"

Board footer