#1 2008-01-31 19:54:18

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

[game] tnl (Thunder&Lightning)

Introduction

Type: Game
Genre: Flight Sim

I had tried to compile this game once last year but make failed, due to something related to io (to the best of my knowledge). I had posted on their forums: http://forum.tnlgame.net/phpBB3/viewtop … &sk=t&sd=a during that time. I remembered it again and thought things will be easier since most stuff should be quite updated after a while. I will introduce you to the game with a 90% complete (hopefully) PKGBUILD smile

Getting Started

Yes, there's the autopackage, but I don't want that. I want pacman. Anyhow, the autopackage does not work for me and I assume that's because my system is unorthodox, like most Archers. Or rather, autopackages are unorthodox. So I grabbed the binary archive and the game runs fine. In this case, we meet all runtime dependencies, and I really mean all.

pkgname=tnl
pkgver=071111
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Futuristic Action Flight Simulator a la Carrier Command"
arch=(i686 x86_64)
url="http://tnlgame.net/"
license=('GPL2')
depends=('io' 'sdl' 'openal' 'libsigc++1.2')
source=(http://tnlgame.net/downloads/$pkgname/$pkgver/TnL-source-$pkgver.tar.bz2 \
              http://tnlgame.net/downloads/$pkgname/$pkgver/TnL-data-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('842ae18f6c587f6cfbc7dcb593a8cc23' \
       'a6922ee0acfe1843a92852dd85fbe9e0')

build() {
  cd $srcdir/TnL-source-$pkgver
  autoreconf
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make PREFIX=$pkgdir install

# Install data files
  cd $srcdir/TnL-data
  cp -r share $pkgdir/usr/
}

The Problem

I'm pretty sure, it's either the io paths the game looks for or the io packages in AUR. I used --with-io-dir=/usr/lib/io and took a close look at the compile options:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../../.. -I../../../../src    -g -O2     -I/usr/lib/io/vm/_include -I/usr/lib/io/vm/_include/base -I/usr/lib/sigc++-1.2/include -I/usr/include/sigc++-1.2   -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/CEGUI   -MT Carrier.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/Carrier.Tpo -c -o Carrier.o Carrier.cc

See /usr/lib/io/vm/ - the directory vm does not exist anywhere in my system. The AUR package io-vm does not solve this, and there isn't any _include directory within io either. Granted, we should use --with-io-libs, but that is no help at all.

Notes

glew - The games apparently includes libglew, and I find no option to configure without it, so I'd think it's not needed.
io-vm - Like mentioned above, neither this or the other package solves anything, but it is still a question which to use.

Normally in times like this I'd steal a Gentoo ebuild, but there is none. I'd guess most are happy with the autopackage or something like that. I will look into this again when I have time. But if YOU have the time, I'd really appreciate it. In the end, who knows if I'm just overlooking something simple? YOU.

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-01-31 20:08:25)

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#2 2008-02-03 09:10:07

erm67

Re: [game] tnl (Thunder&Lightning)

Fixed, uploaded and orphaned so you can adopt it.(it was your PKGBUILD anyway big_smile)
The fix is kind of a dirty trick but it works for the moment, contact me if you have any problem.
You can find it here.

#3 2008-02-04 04:11:14

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Neat!

Or not lol Nevermind, dirty or not, big thanks, now it can be taken care of by pacman.

Good thinking..so it looks like the io packages we have in AUR do not include what's required, ja?

#4 2008-02-04 17:38:04

erm67

schivmeister wrote:

so it looks like the io packages we have in AUR do not include what's required, ja?

The author answered you in the forum that he uses some functions of IO that are not installed by default, so the only solution was to install the source of io, only required to compile the thing and link against the io libraries provided by the AUR package. Io is not installed twice is only needed to compile it.

#5 2008-02-04 17:59:42

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Ahh great, so I missed that. Thanks again!

Board footer