You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-24 14:45:15

lilsirecho
Veteran

Knoppix 3.5 on DVD

The new 3.5 DVD is available for Knoppix and is tied into the entry fee for the Kahrlsrue conference.

I understand it has 5GB of programs included. 

I have noted limits of 2GB for such Live disc installs.

I have to assume (bad practice!) that the Live DVD for 3.5 Knoppix has compressed format in order to enable 5GB of programs to be included.  Googling did not reveal the details of the format.

Any comments would be appreciated. big_smile

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-06-24 15:15:38

dpb

Re: Knoppix 3.5 on DVD

5GB on a DVD? That's quite little IMO. There would fit much more on a DVD.
The CD editions include about 2GB. And yes, Knoppix uses cloop (compressed loop device) to compres all the files in it.

#3 2004-06-24 15:30:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

Thanks for comment!
I have an uncompressed cebit version of Knoppix which is limited to 2GB.

My understanding is that the legacy of the system limits the available compression to an effective 2GB which relates to a 5GB stored set of programs using cloop at the fast mode.

I may not have the figures correct but there is a limit imposed by the legacy.

By the by, I see a 4GB ram chip hitting the market.  That should help the laptop crowd reduce battery drain if they use Knoppix with ramfs at 4gHighmem.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2004-06-24 16:15:36

dp
Website

the 2GB-limit is the 2GB-limit of one file in linux --- and as cloop is "virtually" one file, it has this limit

http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/VALinux-k … limit.html

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-06-24 17:09:48

lilsirecho
Veteran

dp;

Mighty big reference concerning LFS (Large File System) and lots to digest.

I hope I don't belabor the point but do feel the limit is imposed by the legacy program making the Live CD.  I am probably behind the times which is the result of reading the googles which are obsolete before they are printed! roll

#6 2004-06-24 17:47:57

dp
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

... the limit is imposed by the legacy program making the Live CD ...

that is right - to have a lifecd/lifedvd, you need first to create a (c)loop device on your local machine - and the file for this has limit of 2gb on most fs

but if you create a 2gb cloop file, it will store much more than 2gb of data, so it's possible to create a 2gb-iso for a knoppix dvd, that contains 5gb of data without breaking the limit of 2gb

#7 2004-06-24 18:22:16

lilsirecho
Veteran

Dp;

Very good description. Thanks for your comment which ties the knot.  I have hopes to try the Knoppix DVD should the download appear on the net.  The Knoppix runs rather well on my system, not much slower than the normal run of arch. 

If I had a laptop, I would certainly hope that Knoppix was compatible with it and could turn off the IDE drive to save battery charge.

#8 2004-06-24 22:24:33

dp
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Dp;

Very good description. Thanks for your comment which ties the knot.  I have hopes to try the Knoppix DVD should the download appear on the net.  The Knoppix runs rather well on my system, not much slower than the normal run of arch.

not much slower is still slower than arch :-) [i see your point, but people will start wondering why a i686-optimized distro is about the same speed like a lifelinux]

lilsirecho wrote:

If I had a laptop, I would certainly hope that Knoppix was compatible with it and could turn off the IDE drive to save battery charge.

you have 2gb of ram? this would be really great, but if not, then your cd-drive will use the battery more than your hdd --- but the idea is great

#9 2004-06-25 01:01:19

lilsirecho
Veteran

I don't quite have the 2GB; only 1500MB which serves me well in ramfs.  System is athlon 1900+.

I am tempted to get a 1GB stick but haven't seen the right price yet (149 today with rebate for 333 speed).

One has to allow for the DVD or CD drive that's true.  Can't win 'em all!

Board footer