You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-02 11:39:44

neonl
Website

Character problem in xfce-terminal

Hello.

I'm using Xfce4 with the en_US.utf8 locale. The question that I'm Portuguese and there are many chars (ex. í ì ã õ, etc) in my folders/file names that aren't shown well in terminal (in Thunar they are ok, though). I don't know if the problem is caused by the CONSOLEFONT variable or if I need other variables in rc.conf.

My rc.conf (the "locale part") is:

LOCALE="en_US.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Lisbon"
KEYMAP="pt-latin1"
CONSOLEFONT="lat0-16"
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

Many thanks in advance.

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."
Karl Marx
Thee Last.fm

#2 2008-02-02 14:05:38

Maos

Re: Character problem in xfce-terminal

Not much help here but I have same problem but with swedish characters. And the characters look as they should in the consoles, they only look strange in x-terminals for me...
Is it the same for you?

#3 2008-02-02 16:56:40

brandemk

The CONSOLEFONT variable in rc.conf controls the Linux console. The Linux console is the thing you get when you boot the system up without X. They should have no effect on any X-terminal application.

% cat signature
cat: signature: Permission denied

#4 2008-02-03 10:25:44

neonl
Website

Maos wrote:

Not much help here but I have same problem but with swedish characters. And the characters look as they should in the consoles, they only look strange in x-terminals for me...
Is it the same for you?

Nope. They look bad in X terminal apps AND in the console outside X server roll...

If somebody can give me a tip I'll much appreciated...

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."
Karl Marx
Thee Last.fm

#5 2008-02-09 18:50:05

DonnieP

neonl wrote:

Nope. They look bad in X terminal apps AND in the console outside X server roll...

If somebody can give me a tip I'll much appreciated...

Forgive me if you've already solved this, but have have you tried changing your LANG to pt_PT.utf8 instead of en_US.utf8?

Board footer