You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-12 22:57:40

timtux
Website

wxAur - GFX Frontend to AUR.

Hello fellow Archers ;-)

I have been programming a GFX front-end for AUR in python for a while now. This isn't something big or fancy, just a small little app to search/download/compile PKGBUILDS from AUR. It's not working perfectly yet, thats why haven't released it! :-)

I'm gonna release it soon if nothing troubles me, but before releasing i wanna ask all of you, what features would be nice/smart/good to have? And don't even ask for any "download, compile and autoinstall" feature - we picked Linux because we wanted control, right?.

And yes, i know, there is command line programs for searching AUR, but well - I'm doing this because i want to try out GUI programming :-)

wxaur.png

http://timtux.net/ - my personal blog about almost everything

#2 2007-11-12 23:24:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: wxAur - GFX Frontend to AUR.

timtux wrote:

And don't even ask for any "download, compile and autoinstall" feature

Thanks. These things are so scary and no one realizes it. Auto-installation from a source that allows anyone to upload is a huge security hole that everyone seems to want... /me sighs

#3 2007-11-13 00:29:45

Doehni

How about showing the comments from the AUR site?

#4 2007-11-13 00:43:49

dolby

i see u didnt submit it to aur yet. is the source availabale anywhere or more handy, a PKGBUILD for this? i d test it , even if its not finished

OT: glad this project of yours is advancing. hope u finish this soon so u can move on to writing that cd/dvd burner. ppl need it more tongue

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2007-11-13 03:37:34

Allan
Pacman
Website

I'd like to be able to see the maintainer and whether it is flagged out of date.  If I could filter those packages that were out of date and orphans it would be great.

#6 2007-11-15 16:09:22

timtux
Website

Doehni wrote:

How about showing the comments from the AUR site?

This app is using the upcoming AUR JSON interface and thats not implented into it. Sorry.

dolby wrote:

i see u didnt submit it to aur yet. is the source availabale anywhere or more handy, a PKGBUILD for this? i d test it , even if its not finished

OT: glad this project of yours is advancing. hope u finish this soon so u can move on to writing that cd/dvd burner. ppl need it more tongue

A testing version will be out tomorrow.:)

Allan wrote:

I'd like to be able to see the maintainer and whether it is flagged out of date.  If I could filter those packages that were out of date and orphans it would be great.

Ai Ai Sir!. :-D

http://timtux.net/ - my personal blog about almost everything

#7 2007-11-16 07:52:33

wantilles

It would be useful if the user could manually make some changes into the PKGBUILD (or other source files) before the build, for any of the following reasons:

a. The AUR package is out of date. He would like to build the latest version. Most times, just the md5 checksum of the new source tarball changes.

b. He would like to build the package with different options, for his own needs.

c. He would like to include one or more additional patches.

Also, it would be very useful if the niceness of makepkg could be set.

Last edited by wantilles (2007-11-16 07:54:15)

#8 2007-11-16 16:36:15

barebones

I wrote a python called headlights that did kind of the opposite of what you did here (IE it looked at aur apps that are installed on your computer) that was capable of grabbing comments off of the aur via some html uglyness. It's been a while so I'm not sure if the interface on the aur website is the same still but if you're looking to add comments you might want to check it out. code.google.com/p/headlights

Last edited by barebones (2007-11-16 16:36:39)

#9 2007-11-16 18:14:38

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

wantilles wrote:

It would be useful if the user could manually make some changes into the PKGBUILD (or other source files) before the build, for any of the following reasons:

Every user building from the AUR should_ALWAYS_ look at the PKGBUILD and other user-provided content before building the package.  Anyone can submit anything to the AUR, and while the TUs generally do a good job of watching new packages for danger, someone with a rm -rf ~ in the build() function could totally screw you over if you try to build it before a TU notices.

#10 2007-11-17 09:47:10

wantilles

Cerebral wrote:
wantilles wrote:

Every user building from the AUR should_ALWAYS_ look at the PKGBUILD and other user-provided content before building the package.  Anyone can submit anything to the AUR, and while the TUs generally do a good job of watching new packages for danger, someone with a rm -rf ~ in the build() function could totally screw you over if you try to build it before a TU notices.

I never stated that a user should not look into the PKGBUILD.

Where did you see that?

Therefore, your comment is completely irrelevant to the proposals above.

#11 2008-02-01 00:35:07

ibendiben

timtux wrote:

I'm gonna release it soon if nothing troubles me...

What troubled you?

#12 2008-02-01 05:49:53

underpenguin

wantilles wrote:
Cerebral wrote:

Therefore, your comment is completely irrelevant to the proposals above.

Hardly. A program like this, without a built-in function to easily view the PKGBUILD would probably lead to an increase in malicious PKGBUILDS, due to the fact that users would be much more likely to run an unverified PKGBUILD. This feature is crucial if we want to maintain the awesomeness of the AUR.

Last edited by underpenguin (2008-02-01 05:50:43)

#13 2008-02-02 05:45:16

twiistedkaos

Seems like a fairly nice idea, AUR by far is the main reason I use Archlinux, that of course and pacman. I'm not much of a fan of GUI's, never have been. Command-line is by far easier for me, but when this application is released, I shall test it and give some feedback.

#14 2008-02-02 10:25:15

gazj
Website

phrakture wrote:
timtux wrote:

And don't even ask for any "download, compile and autoinstall" feature

Thanks. These things are so scary and no one realizes it. Auto-installation from a source that allows anyone to upload is a huge security hole that everyone seems to want... /me sighs

I don't think it's so much everyone, just the people who do want auto aur create more noise then the ones who are content with a manual install.  Many of us are very happy with a manual aur and would use it no other way. big_smile

This looks like a great way to browse aur without going to the aur webpage which is the only bind I see with AUR.  So great Job timtux

Last edited by gazj (2008-02-02 10:28:57)

#15 2008-02-12 12:17:14

mfolnovic

timtux: is it finished ? big_smile

Board footer