You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-12 19:58:11

Thompz

Couple of Qs (xfce4, booting etc)

Ok - got a couple of Qs here and cant seem to find an answer.

Im looking to change my terminal in xfce4, it currently has a built in one and that seems to be buggy.  Its black and has dodgy white/coloured lines at the top.  I used xterm before but any other terminal would be good.  Is there a conf file to do this?

How do I make xfce4 boot up?  at the moment I have to select arch from grub - then its a black screen (terminal like) and asks me login and password.  Then I have to type startx to start xfce4

Think thats its for now

#2 2008-02-12 20:03:43

Crooksey
Website

Re: Couple of Qs (xfce4, booting etc)

the config file for the look of the terminal's is ~/.Xdefaults

I would reccomend rxvt-unicode as a terminal.

Arch Linux since 2006
Python Web Developer + Sys Admin (Gentoo/BSD)

#3 2008-02-12 20:08:45

sjg

Hi,

By the built in xfce terminal i guess you mean Terminal. I quite like this and have never had any problems with it - not sure what is causing your issue. You can install any terminal you like - xterm is as good a choice as any, but there are many to choose from. Try a bunch and find one that fits. Once installed, just go to the settings manager, and change the terminal application in preferred applications. Easy!

For the second question, you probably want a display manager like GDM. Check the wiki pages about this, but it is very easy to set up. You basically just install it, add it to your daemons line in /etc/rc.conf and then when you start your computer you will be greeted with a login prompt. If you have other desktop environments such as gnome or KDE installed you might have to change the default session to xfce, but this is very easy to do.

Cheers,

Stewart

#4 2008-02-12 20:11:48

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Thompz wrote:

Ok - got a couple of Qs here and cant seem to find an answer.

Im looking to change my terminal in xfce4, it currently has a built in one and that seems to be buggy.  Its black and has dodgy white/coloured lines at the top.  I used xterm before but any other terminal would be good.  Is there a conf file to do this?

Go to settings/preferred applications.

Thompz wrote:

How do I make xfce4 boot up?  at the moment I have to select arch from grub - then its a black screen (terminal like) and asks me login and password.  Then I have to type startx to start xfce4

Think thats its for now

See this page: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_boot
Also, try studying up on the beginner's guide: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

#5 2008-02-12 20:12:53

wyvern

I find Terminal (xfce4's built-in one) works no problem for me. You can configure it by right-clicking on it and selecting 'preferences'.

One more thing though - it does use the 'composite' extension to use 'real' transparency - perhaps this is why you are experiencing the white/coloured lines?

Have you tried adding this to your xorg.conf and seeing if it makes it better? (You'll need to restart X to see any changes)

Section "Extensions"
        Option       "Composite"       "Enable"
EndSection

I'm not sure what you mean by 'how to boot xfce4?' What you describe is the correct method or alternatively typing 'startxfce4' instead of 'startx'.

Do you mean so it automatically logs you into xfce? Or were you asking if there was a graphical login manager? If you want a graphical manager, xfce4 comes without any, so you could choose to install and use one if you prefer graphics. I recommend 'slim'.

'sudo pacman -S slim'

HTH smile

Edit: Bah, double-posting tongue

Last edited by wyvern (2008-02-12 20:13:54)

Board footer