You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-02 20:20:31

Leigh

Dark theme - Moc - colors

I spent some time trying to come up with the best dark theme, mostly black and white with a touch of color. blue turquis is my fav. Anyway, this was originally with kde. I've been trying to get fluxbox to look as close to this as I can, minus the desktop icons and I'm pretty close. I use urxvt as my main terminal and edited the colors slightly so they are more pleasing to the eyes. Well at least my eyes! I also configured my Moc terminal music player to match. With the transparency I'm fairly satisfied and have grown to really like this theme in general!

This screenshot is Moc on urxvt, and the kde destop showing the look of the basic theme using qtcurve with the polyester window style. Warning, this is huge at 1680x1050.
snapshot12thumb.png

This is the wallpaper I'm using at 1680x1050
[url=http://my.opera.com/allisonleigh/albums/show.dml?id=481457[/url]My .Xdefaults showing urxvt settings and color codes
.Xdefaults

Here is the Moc theme I came up with. I named it linali located in .moc/themes/
Then just edited .moc/config to use lianli as the theme. Note.. I'm using moc-svn in aur.
lianli

My kde color theme for anyone using kde who wants to try out this darkish theme with a touch of turquis.
leigh.kcsrc

Although I know my way around linux pretty well, I'm not a total brain when it comes to code and creating package builds, although I am slowly learning bash! Anyway, I wanted to try and contribute where I can. Hope someone likes the above! smile

Oh, lastly you can find my other wallpaper I made for my crt at the end of this thread...
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42285

Edit... I updated my moc theme slightly and changed my wallpaper  to one I found that matches my colour theme. I like it much better. Updated the links so they match the screenshot.

Last edited by Leigh (2008-03-04 10:41:50)

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#2 2008-02-02 20:33:39

darkarchon

Re: Dark theme - Moc - colors

I get the following error when trying to run mocp with your theme:
"FATAL_ERROR: Parse error in theme file line 14: unknown element"
I must be doing something wrong... themes included in moc package work fine though.
Do i need moc-svn or something?

#3 2008-02-02 20:53:30

Leigh

Sorry, yes I'm using the svn version.

I just checked to make sure I didn't paste it wrong. I copied and pasted the above code and tested it and it worked fine here.

But just incase it's a copy and paste problem, I went ahead and uploaded my moc theme file, but I suspect it's probably because your not using the svn version...

lianli

I edited my first post linking to the uploaded files instead of pasting the code to resolve any copy and paste problems.

Last edited by Leigh (2008-02-02 21:07:03)

#4 2008-02-03 06:46:46

blu3ness

Not sure if you are anti-MS but IMHO Yahei is the best CJK font to be used with LCD screens right now, other than that, beautiful theme, pretty elegant, still not comfortable with seeing 火狐 rather than firefox tongue

Archlinux on Compaq Presario v5000 laptop smile

#5 2008-02-03 07:25:59

Gilneas

I recently started using moc and I like this theme. I modified it a little bit to match my .dircolors settings and stripped it of all background colors.
I especially like the idea of removing the progress bar.

#6 2008-02-03 07:57:28

bionnaki

very nice. how does the directory listing look like?

#7 2008-02-03 13:21:26

Leigh

Thanks, I hoped it might come in handy for some moc users even though the basic theme is probably a little too dark for most people. I just really like moc and spent a lot of time trying to make it match my color scheme. Although the basic desktop theme is still a work in progress.

Thanks blu3ness, I have the MS Yahei font and used it for a while. It is very clean and a great compromise when using English and Chinese, but something about it I couldn't get use to. I'm more of a serif fan with English fonts and the chinese style was just alittle to plain and boxy looking for me. Even so, I do use it as a second choice in my fonts.conf file. The icons are only still there because I've been too lazy to delete them. by the way, I agree with you about 火狐 tongue

bionnaki, The directory listing looks just like the screen shot using cyan as the selected color, but without bold. Your really pretty limited with the moc theme. It just lets you manipulate the colors and or transparency of all the functions, which corresponds to what the terminal theme is set to. It could look completely different depending on which terminal you open moc up on. It can be a little confusing figuring the theme file out at first. I wish there was a way to make the border lines transparent. I also wish it would let us substitute a symbol rather than a color for the progress bar. Thats why I made the progress bar transparent , so it wouldn't show up. Anyway, it's still my fav music app! : )

#8 2008-02-03 15:48:20

bionnaki

I love moc as well. the player is vastly underrated and overlooked. not sure why people use mpd/ncmpc over moc.

your theme is very nice and subtle. I prefer more color, personally. I use a slightly modified orpheus theme from http://moc.daper.net/contrib

have you tried selecting ascii to get symbols?

Last edited by bionnaki (2008-02-03 15:50:00)

#9 2008-02-03 18:18:39

Leigh

Thanks, and I agree with you. I'm surprised it's not more popular. Compared to all the other media apps I tried, moc is so much simpler! I can browse through 150 gigs of music way faster using moc and the keyboard than I could with any of them. It's also cool looking in the terminal and it's a lot more powerful than it looks! I tried activating ascii to draw lines but I couldn't get it to display symbols as a progress bar, but that's ok, Im happy with my theme. My goal was to keep everything pretty much greyscale except for the one highlight color. Once I get tired of the dark theme I might play around with a different theme and a little more color. I havn't tried any of the moc scripts yet. I might have to do some experimenting! smile

#10 2008-02-03 18:49:00

bionnaki

easy status script for conky:

#!/bin/sh

TITLE="`mocp -i | grep 'Title:' | sed -e 's/^.*: //'`";
if [ "$TITLE" != "" ]; then
  ARTIST="`mocp -i | grep 'Artist:' | sed -e 's/^.*: //'`";
  SONGTITLE="`mocp -i | grep 'SongTitle:' | sed -e 's/^.*: //'`";
  ALBUM="`mocp -i | grep 'Album:' | sed -e 's/^.*: //'`";
  if [ "$ARTIST" != "" ]; then ARTIST="$ARTIST - "; fi
  if [ "$ALBUM" != "" ]; then ALBUM="($ALBUM)"; fi
  echo $ARTIST $SONGTITLE $ALBUM
else echo Not Playing
fi

#11 2008-02-04 03:51:51

hk2717

I am quite new to Arch (in fact I am new to Linux) and currently using ttf-arphic-uming and ttf-archpic-ukai. These two fonts look fairly good but only for CJK characters. I am seeking a font that looks good in both CJK and English, and the font you use in moc is ... brilliant. Is it a mix-up of Bitstream Vera and some kind of Sung or Ming CJK fonts?

PS: Nice wallpaper. I mean the one you made.

Edit: typo.

Last edited by hk2717 (2008-02-04 03:52:43)

#12 2008-02-04 06:16:09

Leigh

Hi hk, and welcome to linux and Arch. Yes your correct, I'm using a mixture of two fonts in my terminal and most all other apps. For Chinese/cjk I prefer AR PL New Sung. In my .fonts.conf file as my first preferred font I use Bitstream Vera Serif for my preferred English font by default, and it's followed by AR PL New Sung for non-English-characters. But, in urxvt in the screenshot I'm using DejaVu Sans Mono-11 as the English font specified in my .Xdefaults file. I like it much better in the terminal for my English font. Then it falls back to AR PL New Sung for Chinese because it's listed as the first cjk font in my .fonts.conf file. Also If your using kde there's a really cool feature in qtconfig that lets you do font substitution much the same way for qt apps. So when a character is used or seen in a qt app for any particular font that is not recognized by that font, it falls back to the substitution list. For example, in a terminal just execute qtconfig, when the gui pops up select the fonts tab, then at the left you should see a description of your options including font substitution for any particular font family. It's pretty cool for qt apps! Anyway this is how I have .fonts.conf set up..

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>none</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintmedium</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
        <match target="font">
                <test qual="all" name="rgba"><const>unknown</const></test>
                <edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>rgb</const></edit>
        </match>
    <match target="font">
        <edit name="autohint" mode="assign"><bool>true</bool></edit>
    </match>
  <match target="font">
    <test qual="any" name="family" compare="eq">
      <string>Bitstream Vera Serif</string>
           <string>AR PL New Sung</string>
           <string>AR PL New Sung ExtB</string>
           <string>AR PL New Sung Mono</string>
           <string>Microsoft YaHei</string>
           <string>AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni</string>
           <string>SimSun</string>
           <string>MingLiu</string>
           <string>PMingLiu</string>
           <string>SimHei</string>
           <string>AR PL ZenKai Uni</string>
    </test>
    <test name="pixelsize" compare="less_eq">
      <double>14</double>
    </test>
    <edit name="antialias">
      <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
    <edit name="hinting">
      <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>
  <alias>
      <family>serif</family>
      <prefer>
         <family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
         <family>Times New Roman</family>
              <family>AR PL New Sung</family>
              <family>AR PL New Sung ExtB</family>
              <family>Microsoft YaHei</family>
              <family>AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni</family>
          <family>SimSun</family>
          <family>MingLiu</family>
          <family>PMingLiu</family>
          <family>SimHei</family>
          <family>AR PL ZenKai Uni</family>
      </prefer>
  </alias>
  <alias>
      <family>sans-serif</family>
      <prefer>
         <family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
      <family>Arial</family>
      <family>Verdana</family>
      <family>Helvetica</family>
           <family>SimSun</family>
           <family>MingLiu</family>
           <family>SimHei</family>
      </prefer>
  </alias>
  <alias>
      <family>monospace</family>
      <prefer>
         <family>AR PL New Sung Mono</family>
         <family>DejaVu Sans Mono</family>
         <family>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</family>
     <family>Courier New</family>
         <family>Courier</family>
          <family>SimSun</family>
          <family>MingLiu</family>
          <family>SimHei</family>
      </prefer>
  </alias>
</fontconfig>

#13 2008-02-04 23:52:50

Leigh

blu3ness wrote:

Not sure if you are anti-MS but IMHO Yahei is the best CJK font to be used with LCD screens right now, other than that, beautiful theme, pretty elegant, still not comfortable with seeing 火狐 rather than firefox tongue

I decided to try out microsofts Yahei font again, and it is really ellegant and looks good on the desktop, and in menus and konqueror! Really clean and shows up nicely. I don't think it look as good in the terminal though, so I kept my termal fonts. I'ts amazing how just changing the fonts can make your system apear so much nicer! For the English font in menus I,m still trying to decide between bitstream and microsoft sans serif. Microsft sans serif looks a tiny bit nicer over all I think, but is thicker and bolder looking than bitstream.

I'm having trouble with moc displaying some Chinese characters that display just fine in a normal urxvt terminal. I think there might be a glitch in moc using utf8.

#14 2008-02-05 02:48:03

hk2717

Thanks for the config sample. I tried WenQuanYi Bitmap Song and WenQuanYi Zen Hei yesterday, and I think they are good enough for me. Yahei is good but I think there is some copyright issue out there.

#15 2008-02-06 05:25:24

Leigh

Yea your right. I should go back to New Sung so I can be legal. I like it just as well anyway. It's just not as crisp looking as Yahei.

#16 2008-02-15 10:35:14

Leigh

Slightly updated the moc theme removing the black backround in the lists. Replaced my wallpaper with something I like much better. I used some of the suggestions and slightly altered my Chinese system fonts for menus and got rid of my desktom icons. Thanks! The links in my first post are updated so they reflect the new screenshot. smile

#17 2008-03-01 19:30:02

pedepy

what exactly is the system monitoring thing on the left ?

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#18 2008-03-02 02:14:47

bionnaki

I dont see a monitor on the left. conky is on the right, though.

#19 2008-03-02 11:03:21

Leigh

There's 3 terminals on the left, the middle one is Moc. I use the same screen shot on my blog as a reference to configuring Chinese and English fonts. Sorry if it's a little confusing.

Board footer