You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-29 05:22:15

fbidwell

Question about setting up alternate GCC compilers, ADA95

I want to compile gcc 3.4.0 with ada95 language enabled. I have some questions about the best, arch linux, way to do this.

've downloaded the GNAT binaries which are needed to compile the ada packages for the GNAT compiler to build. 

1st question.  Where should these go?  I thought maybe /opt since they are built on gcc 2.8.1 and if you install them in /usr, the gcc in it will overwrite the 3.4.0 one.  The default in the install script is to put the stuff in /usr/gnat/bin and /usr/gnat/lib.  This keeps them from colliding with the currently installed gcc, but requires you to add this to your path. Is this better?

After you install the binaries for GNAT you can then recompile the current gcc compiler with ADA enabled. 

2nd question.

Do you think its better to modify the ABS PKGBUILD script for gcc to just enable ADA, rebuild and install the package over the arch default gcc, or  make a new local gcc-3.4.0-gnat PKGBUILD for only ada and install it someplace else and leave the arch package alone. 

My gut is telling me to leave the Arch package alone, so I don't screw up gcc  on my system.  Make a new package called gnat-3.4.0 and install it in /usr/gnat/bin and /usr/gnat/lib, so as to not collide with gcc.

#2 2004-06-29 11:30:06

dpb

Re: Question about setting up alternate GCC compilers, ADA95

fbidwell wrote:

1st question.  Where should these go?  I thought maybe /opt since they are built on gcc 2.8.1 and if you install them in /usr, the gcc in it will overwrite the 3.4.0 one.  The default in the install script is to put the stuff in /usr/gnat/bin and /usr/gnat/lib.  This keeps them from colliding with the currently installed gcc, but requires you to add this to your path. Is this better?

This depends on the 2nd question. smile

fbidwell wrote:

2nd question.

Do you think its better to modify the ABS PKGBUILD script for gcc to just enable ADA, rebuild and install the package over the arch default gcc, or  make a new local gcc-3.4.0-gnat PKGBUILD for only ada and install it someplace else and leave the arch package alone.

It depends if you want to use the normal gcc at all. If you want to use both, then you should install it in a different place.

fbidwell wrote:

My gut is telling me to leave the Arch package alone, so I don't screw up gcc  on my system.  Make a new package called gnat-3.4.0 and install it in /usr/gnat/bin and /usr/gnat/lib, so as to not collide with gcc.

I would leave the arch package alone and use the CC variable when I want to use the other gcc for compiling. (Like I did with the gcc-3.3.3 package.) IMO it's better to use /opt instead of /usr for this.

Board footer