You are not logged in.

#26 2008-02-15 10:15:48

lyrae

Re: bmpanel

Wow, this is what I was looking for. 
It works in openbox but not for pekwm (my preferred wm). It dies with a segmentation fault.   
Now at last, I can get rid of the icons in the taskbar and skinnable.  Looking forward to more updates.
Thanks, nsf

#27 2008-02-15 11:26:26

Ashren
Website

Lyrae, I'm looking forward to any theme by your hand.

smile

#28 2008-02-15 12:12:01

kramerxiita

nsf wrote:
gothmog.todi wrote:

The good news: works now on x86_64 (hooray!).

The bed news: It doesn't like gtk1 apps. It dies with a segfault everytime I start one (putty, gtk-theme-switch, dillo,...). This happens both on x86_64 and i686. (Tried with bmpanel 0.9.4)

Just tried to run putty. Works fine.
Non reproducible behavior is a bad thing. sad
Btw, what window manager do you use?

Also you can help me a lot if you do this:
scons debug=1
gdb ./bmpanel
run native
... open your gtk1 apps, and when it segfaults, type in gdb:
bt

and drop all output here, so I will know where exactly segfault error is.
smile

kramerxiita wrote:

Tray don't work were. sad
How to fix width and height of taskbar?
I don't like this in 100% of screen.
PS: sorry my English. big_smile

What window manager do you use?

Openbox

#29 2008-02-15 14:11:43

nsf
Website

gothmog.todi wrote:

I'm using compiz as wm (without gnome or anything). And the gtk problem seems to be related to that: when I change to openbox, i can start said gtk-apps without problems.

I haven't got around trying it on x86_64, but here is the output of gdb on i686:

You forgot to type 'bt' smile it is gdb 'backtrace' command. And all output is not necessay, only results of backtrace. Sorry for asking you to do some debug stuff, but for now it is the fastest way I know to fix bugs. I'm kinda newbie developer and have tiny experience in maintaining projects, but I can learn things very fast smile

kramerxiita wrote:

Openbox

Well, I guess I got it. You don't like 100% width on screen that panel have. Sorry, but it has fixed width and always 100% smile I think it could be hacked for not 100% width look. I will work on bugs only for now sad It is possible in future for version 2.0 to rewrite render stuff, but I even don't think about it right now.

lyrae wrote:

Wow, this is what I was looking for. 
It works in openbox but not for pekwm (my preferred wm). It dies with a segmentation fault.   
Now at last, I can get rid of the icons in the taskbar and skinnable.  Looking forward to more updates.
Thanks, nsf

Ok, I will install pekwm today and see why they don't want to be friends smile

xd-0 wrote:

How do you set so the desktop name only appears in one square?
As it is now all the desktops lays beside eaxh other like windows in the panel.

Don't get it sad

Bmpanel2 and obkey developer.

#30 2008-02-15 14:29:46

gothmog.todi

oh, sorry for that. stupid me wink

this time with backtrace:

(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7df42f3 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x08049af8 in impl__xstrdup (str=0x0) at src/common.c:42
#2  0x0804e900 in add_task (win=46137425, focused=1) at src/bmpanel.c:452
#3  0x0804ebea in update_tasks () at src/bmpanel.c:547
#4  0x0804f107 in handle_property_notify (win=96, a=314) at src/bmpanel.c:722
#5  0x0804f8bc in xconnection_cb (loop=0xb7f268a0, w=0xbfeb1e10, revents=1)
    at src/bmpanel.c:955
#6  0xb7f22a96 in ev_loop () from /usr/lib/libev.so.3
#7  0x0804faea in init_and_start_ev_loop (xfd=6) at src/bmpanel.c:1037
#8  0x0804fbde in main (argc=2, argv=0xbfeb1f14) at src/bmpanel.c:1061

#31 2008-02-15 15:20:08

nsf
Website

gothmog.todi wrote:

oh, sorry for that. stupid me wink

this time with backtrace:

Quickfix release 0.9.4.1 for that bug ready. I guess some old applications which don't know about NETWM hints sets their name only via XA_WM_NAME. So I added support for that and if no name found it falls back to "<unknown>".

I installed pekwm and panel actually works. But! When panel tries to raise window it didn't happen sad Don't know why. Maybe pekwm problem. It will took more time.
Also desktops were not showing if window manager doesn't supply names for them. So I fixed it too. Now if there are no names for desktops, they falls back to "1", "2", "3", etc.

And the third change - default icons for taskbar weren't resizing correctly.

Uploaded to AUR, waiting for replies (especially from gothmog.todi).

Last edited by nsf (2008-02-15 15:23:52)

#32 2008-02-17 14:50:05

nsf
Website

0.9.5 release ready.
Reworked panel placement. Now it can work with other panels well. For example if you place fbpanel at bottom and then run bmpanel with theme placement at bottom too, it will be placed above fbpanel.
More EWMH compliant now. bmpanel takes in account _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW. It may be broken now on some old WMs, but it works well on modern EWMH compliant WMs.

Tests passed on openbox, icewm and pekwm (lyrae, good news for you).

And maybe some other bug fixes.

What I really want from you all. Bug reports if any.. on different WMs. Reproducible bugs are better.

Happy using wink

#33 2008-02-17 15:57:09

faelar
Website

Hey, your project looks promising smile
I've tried it on Openbox with xfce4-panel.
First, I have installed it and launch bmpanel, and it didn't work of course. I suggest you to tell the user that the name of the default theme is "native".
Then, I have tried to launch bmpanel native, it warned me about a missing font (dejavusans/14).
Using a "default" font with the basic skin could also be a good idea.
The third attempt will be the right, bmpanel started but floated higher than the bottom of the screen. The problem is that xfce4-panel is at the top of the screen, not at the bottom, so it doesn't need to leave a space.
If I launch xfce4-panel after bmpanel, it's okay, but if I move xfce4-panel at the bottom of the screen it goes over bmpanel.
Else systray seems to work well.

Last edited by faelar (2008-02-17 15:58:07)

#34 2008-02-17 19:30:28

nsf
Website

faelar wrote:

First, I have installed it and launch bmpanel, and it didn't work of course. I suggest you to tell the user that the name of the default theme is "native".
Then, I have tried to launch bmpanel native, it warned me about a missing font (dejavusans/14).
Using a "default" font with the basic skin could also be a good idea.
The third attempt will be the right, bmpanel started but floated higher than the bottom of the screen. The problem is that xfce4-panel is at the top of the screen, not at the bottom, so it doesn't need to leave a space.
If I launch xfce4-panel after bmpanel, it's okay, but if I move xfce4-panel at the bottom of the screen it goes over bmpanel.
Else systray seems to work well.

Top bottom things will be fixed in next release smile
Default "native" theme too.
Not sure about default fonts. Maybe, but unlikely.
I'm glad you liked it.

#35 2008-02-17 22:01:58

kramerxiita

Maybe you insert some options in next version.

Some like variable width on screen, option to don't show icons. (this http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … cash5.png).

This panel looks promising.

Thanks

#36 2008-02-17 23:12:06

lyrae

nsf wrote:

0.9.5 release ready.
Reworked panel placement. Now it can work with other panels well. For example if you place fbpanel at bottom and then run bmpanel with theme placement at bottom too, it will be placed above fbpanel.
More EWMH compliant now. bmpanel takes in account _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW. It may be broken now on some old WMs, but it works well on modern EWMH compliant WMs.

Tests passed on openbox, icewm and pekwm (lyrae, good news for you).

And maybe some other bug fixes.

What I really want from you all. Bug reports if any.. on different WMs. Reproducible bugs are better.

Happy using wink

Wow, that is quick.  Thanks, nsf.  I will be posting a screenshot of a sandwich theme here soon with your bmpanel.

#37 2008-02-18 04:35:49

lyrae

Just one problem though, the systray doesn't work in pekwm.  Instead it is just a black background.

#38 2008-02-18 09:24:17

nsf
Website

kramerxiita wrote:

Some like variable width on screen, option to don't show icons. (this http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … cash5.png).
This panel looks promising.
Thanks

I said about width on screen. It's a new feature for themes and I don't want new features until 1.0, so you have to wait.
Icons from taskbar can be already removed in theme file. My panel doesn't have configs, but you can copy themes to ~/.bmpanel/themes and edit them!
Some documentation for themes is on panel's web page: http://nsf.110mb.com/bmpanel
And here is a quote from web:

tb_icon_w [integer] - icon width, better if it has the same width as tb_default_icon_img
tb_icon_h [integer] - icon height, better if if has the same height as tb_default_icon_img
(if icon width/height equals zero, the icons are not drawn)

So, all you need to get rid of icons is to set tb_icon_w to zero AND tb_icon_h to zero too.

faelar wrote:

Default theme is native now.

faelar wrote:

This should be fixed now.

faelar wrote:

It is xfce4-panel's placement bug. It doesn't take into account _NET_WORKAREA. xfce4 panel sucks, because when you place more than one of them (for example one at the bottom of the screen and one at the left of the screen) they overlaps themselves. xfce4-panel's developers too good to fix it? Well, as good open source developer I should send them a patch, so let's leave this critics.

lyrae wrote:

Just one problem though, the systray doesn't work in pekwm.  Instead it is just a black background.

Fixed in upcoming release. Also fixed window restacking (when you click on panel's taskbar, window under cursor now being moved to top, so you can see it).

Just need to do some checks and small fixes. Release will be ready today.

Last edited by nsf (2008-02-18 09:25:33)

#39 2008-02-18 11:00:03

nsf
Website

here we go: 0.9.5.4

* Proper tray icon initialising and resizing
    * MOTIF WM hints for decorations (should work well with fvwm)
    * Restacking window Above on taskbar click
    * Fixed bottom/top placement according to _NET_WORKAREA
    * User can run bmpanel now without agruments, default theme: native

#40 2008-02-18 13:43:56

faelar
Website

xfce4 panel sucks

Yes, but it as all I need :
- Desktop Switch
- Tray
- Takes my GTK theme

I'm looking for a good alternative, that's why I'm interested in bmpanel smile
Default conf is the same as the one I have for xfce : DS-TASKBAR-TRAY-CLOCK.

The placement of the panel works well now. I tried "left" as an option, it doesn't display error but put my panel on the top.

With Opera, the icon is okay in the tray, but a default icon is displayed in the taskbar.

Don't know if there is currently one, but you must add a character for commenting out things in the theme file (like #).

Can I disable the name of the workspaces ? I tried with a 0 height font, but it looks bad hmm

Great work anyway smile

#41 2008-02-18 15:14:18

nsf
Website

faelar wrote:

xfce4 panel sucks

Yes, but it as all I need :
- Desktop Switch
- Tray
- Takes my GTK theme

Different people have different needs. I wrote panel for myself, but it is good if someone will find it useful smile

faelar wrote:

I'm looking for a good alternative, that's why I'm interested in bmpanel smile
Default conf is the same as the one I have for xfce : DS-TASKBAR-TRAY-CLOCK.
The placement of the panel works well now. I tried "left" as an option, it doesn't display error but put my panel on the top.

Currently panel have only bottom/top placements. Left and right placements would require to rewrite all rendering engine and many other things. It is possible after 1.0, but I don't want to give any promises.

faelar wrote:

With Opera, the icon is okay in the tray, but a default icon is displayed in the taskbar.

Got it, I don't like opera, but will try to do something with that someday smile It's not critical for now.

faelar wrote:

Don't know if there is currently one, but you must add a character for commenting out things in the theme file (like #).

There are comments already. See themes/native/theme. And exactly the # character. But there is also one strict rule: comment line - line started with '#', so you can't write for example like this:

name     nsf   # this is my name

but you can:

# this is my name
name     nsf
faelar wrote:

Can I disable the name of the workspaces ? I tried with a 0 height font, but it looks bad hmm

Well, panel have no such option. Workspaces and their names are responsibility of window manager (openbox, pekwm, etc.). For now if window manager doesn't supply names, they fall back to "1", "2", "3", etc. I will think about new theme ability: when no fonts specified for desktop switcher, names are not drawn. It won't break any existing themes and seems like very nice decision.

Great work anyway smile

thanks smile

I guess you want to create theme for bmpanel, it would be very nice if you will contribute it. I have only two themes, but redmini is ugly (it is created to show minimalistic abilities of theme engine). I'm not an artist and unlikely will create more nice themes, so I really need themes from other people smile

Last edited by nsf (2008-02-18 15:17:06)

#42 2008-02-18 23:36:49

lyrae

I like to use different fonts, for example kroeger 05_55 caps, avantgarde LT medium on my panel but I am unable to use them.  Any thought?

#43 2008-02-19 07:36:49

nsf
Website

lyrae wrote:

I like to use different fonts, for example kroeger 05_55 caps, avantgarde LT medium on my panel but I am unable to use them.  Any thought?

Panel currently uses only TTF fonts directly through freetype2 (via imlib2 wink) and you should specify them by file names. I will rewrite them to pango or Xft backend someday.
"Unable to use them"? panel refuses to load fonts or just doesn't show text?

Last edited by nsf (2008-02-19 07:37:05)

#44 2008-02-19 08:53:43

Ashren
Website

After the update the theme is always native even when using altered theme or redmini.

I copied /usr/share/bmpanel/themes to ~/.bmpanel/themes.

#45 2008-02-19 09:14:04

lyrae

nsf wrote:
lyrae wrote:

Panel currently uses only TTF fonts directly through freetype2 (via imlib2 wink) and you should specify them by file names. I will rewrite them to pango or Xft backend someday.
"Unable to use them"? panel refuses to load fonts or just doesn't show text?

failed to load font: Avantgarde LT Medium/7

#46 2008-02-19 11:21:30

nsf
Website

Ashren wrote:

After the update the theme is always native even when using altered theme or redmini.

I copied /usr/share/bmpanel/themes to ~/.bmpanel/themes.

That is strange, works fine for me.

lyrae wrote:

failed to load font: Avantgarde LT Medium/7

As I said in my previous post, bmpanel requires file names for fonts. Do you really have "Avantgarde LT Medium.ttf" file?
I googled for such font and the first page is:
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/i … tf/166981/
Notice file name: LTe52011.ttf
It is bad, I know.

Last edited by nsf (2008-02-19 11:34:26)

#47 2008-02-19 11:48:06

lyrae

Well, I never.  It works.  Thanks, nsf.

#48 2008-02-19 14:04:05

faelar
Website

I try to make something, but It's not really good.
So I come with a question, can I add a gap between the separators and the tray's icons ?

#49 2008-02-19 15:55:24

nsf
Website

faelar wrote:

I try to make something, but It's not really good.
So I come with a question, can I add a gap between the separators and the tray's icons ?

Wow, looks nice (not superb, but it's only the beginning). In current version you can't. I will add it in next release smile It is actually good notice, all elements have space gap variable, but tray haven't.
Don't know when release will be ready. Maybe tomorrow, maybe few days later.

#50 2008-02-19 16:34:34

Ashren
Website

nsf, earlier "error" was caused by me. Sorry bout that.

Board footer