You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-13 21:31:56

Zibi1981

E17 and no system sounds.

Does E17 have any system sounds? I find it quite weird, but my system doesn't make any sounds! I mean I have ALSA installed and properly configured. Audacious, SMPlayer, Skype...all those apps are working fine, and I don't have any problems with playing movie or audio files.
Maybe I have to install some additional packages beside those mentioned in the wiki? I didn't find any sound-related categories in E17's Configuration Panel.

Some tips, please? Couldn't find any satisfying answer on the web and on this board roll

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#2 2008-02-14 14:00:41

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: E17 and no system sounds.

What kind of system sounds are you looking for ?

I don't know of any system sounds in e17. Maybe there are some login themes which include sound, though I'm not sure about that. Well, I never looked very deep into it as I like it quiet as it is.

#3 2008-02-14 16:16:50

iggy

as far as i know there come no sound-related things with e17. but why system sounds? stupid question, i know, never really understand why to use sounds, they only disturb while working, listening music...

sorry for my bad english smile

#4 2008-02-14 21:32:17

Zibi1981

pressh wrote:

What kind of system sounds are you looking for ?

I don't know of any system sounds in e17. Maybe there are some login themes which include sound, though I'm not sure about that. Well, I never looked very deep into it as I like it quiet as it is.

Well Intro and Outro at least, and maybe some error sounds too wink They were in EliveGem when I tried that distro. Thought E17 isn't soundless... I also have some issues with Skype. It works well when it comes to speaking and listening, but I don't get any sounds when pressing the button Make a test sound in Options -> Sound Devices. I also don't get any sound info when I get a text message. Do you think this issues are related? Maybe I have to unmute something in ALSA settings? roll

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

#5 2008-02-15 00:19:53

pressh
Developer/TU

Zibi1981 wrote:

Well Intro and Outro at least, and maybe some error sounds too wink They were in EliveGem when I tried that distro.

Are you sure about this? I just pulled the latest development release, the only sounds I can find is a login sound, which is easily managed by creating a .desktop file in the startup folder which calls a cli audio file player, and a sound in that weird elive config panel.
I was not able to test the stable release as I cannot find it for free and I don't feel like paying for it wink

Zibi1981 wrote:

I also have some issues with Skype. It works well when it comes to speaking and listening, but I don't get any sounds when pressing the button Make a test sound in Options -> Sound Devices. I also don't get any sound info when I get a text message. Do you think this issues are related? Maybe I have to unmute something in ALSA settings? roll

I don't know if that is supposed to work, but I hardly doubt it is related to the window manager.

#6 2008-02-15 00:41:08

Zibi1981

pressh wrote:
Zibi1981 wrote:

Well Intro and Outro at least, and maybe some error sounds too wink They were in EliveGem when I tried that distro.

Are you sure about this? I just pulled the latest development release, the only sounds I can find is a login sound, which is easily managed by creating a .desktop file in the startup folder which calls a cli audio file player, and a sound in that weird elive config panel.
I was not able to test the stable release as I cannot find it for free and I don't feel like paying for it wink

Yes, I'm quite sure, as I had EliveGem 1.0 installed once on my desktop. Maybe those sounds weren't a part of E17, but were rather created by the distro developers. i don't know that...

#7 2008-02-17 19:48:28

pressh
Developer/TU

Zibi1981 wrote:

Yes, I'm quite sure, as I had EliveGem 1.0 installed once on my desktop. Maybe those sounds weren't a part of E17, but were rather created by the distro developers. i don't know that...

Only way I can find out if you can point me to a point where I can get EliveGem 1.0, without me having to donate to those guys...assuming there is no restriction in its license against redistributing.

#8 2008-02-18 17:08:01

Zibi1981

I once asked on Elive's forum is it legal to download it via P2P, and one of the users (devs???) told me, that the only reason they want people to donate is to maintain their download link. At least that's how I understood his words. Eventually I downloaded it using eMule big_smile

Board footer