You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-06 04:28:32

The Orange Peanut

Bad Python interpretor? rankmirrors not working

I've got a couple of questions.  One of them is pertinent to right now.

I've installed Arch according to the beginners guide on the wiki, and I'm stuck at configuring pacman.  I'm supposed to run the command rankmirrors -v /etc/pacman.d/core but it spits this out at me

[root@alpha-pc ~] rankmirrors -v /etc/pacman.d/core
-bash: /usr/bin/rankmirrors: /usr/bin/python: bad interpretor: no such file or directory
[root@alpha-pc ~]

I installed all 4 of the package sections during install and said yes to "install default packages", so I don't know why python didn't install.  How do I fix this?

Also, where is the IRC channel?  I'm on my old PC while I set up Arch on my primary PC and live help would be better than posting a million forum topics I think.

Thanks.

#2 2008-01-06 05:08:52

synorgy
Website

Re: Bad Python interpretor? rankmirrors not working

the IRC channel is on freenode. (irc.freenode.net)

I'm not sure what to do about the rest.
You can run pacman without the rankmirrors script being run, but it defaults to a severely throttled connection IIRC. Try running pacman -Sy python and then attempt to re-run rankmirrors.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#3 2008-01-06 05:17:01

Jessehk

In other words, it doesn't look like Python is installed -- rankmirrors is written in Python. The command synorgy gave you should install it.

#4 2008-02-18 12:24:13

staticvoid

Jessehk wrote:

In other words, it doesn't look like Python is installed -- rankmirrors is written in Python. The command synorgy gave you should install it.

yup. i got the same exact message. while i was installing python (pacman -S python) i ran rankmirrors and it gave me the same output. now it works fine though...

sv

this is my sig

#5 2008-02-18 15:51:54

tlaloc

Moreover, if you have already done an upgrade, you should probably run rankmirrors on /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. If you're still on pacman 3.1.0 (scratch) yes I think your version was right then.

#6 2008-02-18 16:52:03

staticvoid

you know what..? you might just wanna do things plain and simple, as there is now only one mirrorlist file...

as root:

nano etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

find a place near where you live (for me, spain) then Ctrl + K and Ctrl + U it to the top of that list. dloads should be faster now.

sv

this is my sig

#7 2008-02-18 17:49:36

exiguous

Board footer