You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-28 20:34:09

iotc247
Website

Few ideas

Why not have a little feature wether it be for pacman or as another program that merges the changes between config files.. You know when pacman puts filename.pacnew why not have a util where you type lets say merge-config and it looks at the differences and changes it.. Something like that if you know what i mean where we dont have to go and manually update config files with the new .pacnew ones.. Just a thought from being with lovely gentoo for a week..

#2 2004-06-28 20:56:18

contrasutra

Re: Few ideas

Gentoo has this feature. It all seems a little too risky for me. Personally, I don't want my configuration files touched unless it's by my root guided hand.

I dont think too many config files get updated. You could always do this manually via diff and other tools. It's probably much safer (it's what I do to check what was changed).

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2004-06-28 21:06:20

dp
Website

yes, i agree with contrasutra, it's too much work for quite no benefit

but maybe a py-script that opens the 2 configs in kdiff or something like this would be nice, if someone wants to play around --- i mean a tool that opens you the 2 configs and you can choose what you want to apply to what (X/kdiff opened automatically after each .pacsave-install)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-06-28 21:43:47

i3839

Pacman is much smarter than portage though, it checks the md5sums to see if config files are edited and upgrades them if you didn't touch them. It also doesn't bother you if the new config file didn't change from the original old one and you edited the file.

If you want to do it yourself then just take a look at the diff, patch and diff3 manpages.

#5 2004-06-28 21:53:42

iotc247
Website

Ok it was just a suggestion.. obviously its not liked.. So please close the thread delete it or whatever.. Just a note to someone wit admin powers to allow a thread to be deleted by the original author.. That way we can remove our own dup posts and posts that are fixed elsewhere..

#6 2004-06-28 22:01:01

dp
Website

iotc247 wrote:

Ok it was just a suggestion.. obviously its not liked.. So please close the thread delete it or whatever.. Just a note to someone wit admin powers to allow a thread to be deleted by the original author.. That way we can remove our own dup posts and posts that are fixed elsewhere..

it's not that it is not liked. it is not needed - i would like to play with a kdiff-simmilar tool, with colors and all theses cool eye-candies, but eye candies are not that essential

i would suggest that we let this thread open for search-catches on this subject --- but i would suggest you, that you edit the subject to something more precise, that it can be found more easily ("few ideas" is too general)

keep the ideas posting --- it is always good to collect ideas that someone can realize somewhen :-)

#7 2004-06-28 22:11:05

dp
Website

how this idea would be usefull:

kompare

jl4SwyT6.jpg

#8 2004-06-29 17:56:34

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

vimdiff does exactly that.  Only it's less graphical and more cool.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2004-06-29 22:11:04

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Xentac wrote:

Only it's less graphical and more cool.

Anything that is less graphical is more cool. duh.

Dusty

#10 2004-06-29 23:09:01

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:

vimdiff does exactly that.  Only it's less graphical and more cool.

yes, but a pacman session do not open it automatically - that's what i mean that the idea is: to choose the changes while -Suying

#11 2004-06-29 23:20:24

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I think you would have a lot of trouble convincing Judd to make the pacman upgrade procedure interactive.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#12 2004-06-29 23:49:31

aCoder
Website

I like the system we have.  Most of the time, I can just ignore a new config, and I like it that way.  I would prefer to only be notified when there's a real issue.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#13 2004-06-30 00:31:16

dp
Website

do not misunderstand me:

i do not want to have an obligate interactive pacman --- noooooo, this would be horrible

but the idea of an interactive offer to change files that are updated in new pkg but are marked as "config-file" or something like this would be a nice eye candie as addon --- let's use the power of metadata :-) (like the new gnome, longhorn and others) *hitANDrun*  lol

#14 2004-06-30 00:48:12

aCoder
Website

power of metadata

*gag*

I think I just puked a little...

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#15 2004-06-30 02:04:29

iotc247
Website

Ok what about rc-update ? Or inet.d-update or something like that where it adds services to rc.conf or however gentoo does it.. I dunno i just like that little stuff where i dont have to edit a config file.. Its not gui either.. I think that we can take alot from gentoo.. Id used it with arch but its stupid source based... Dam you gentoo..

#16 2004-06-30 03:33:33

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

what about a wrapper that searches the system for .pacsave files and then displays the merge *after* pacman has run. What say you?

#17 2004-06-30 08:47:12

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:

what about a wrapper that searches the system for .pacsave files and then displays the merge *after* pacman has run. What say you?

Wrapper, we don't need no steenking wrapper.

for i in `locate .pacsave .pacnew | grep \\(pacsave\\|pacnew\\)$`; do vimdiff `echo $i | rev | sed 's/^.*cap.//' | rev` $i; done

Did you want to delete the files afterward?

for i in `locate .pacsave .pacnew | grep \\(pacsave\\|pacnew\\)$`; do vimdiff `echo $i | rev | sed 's/^.*cap.//' | rev` $i; rm $i; done

I'll admit, a script would probably be more robust, but this does essentially that.  Oh yeah, your slocate db will have to be up to date for this to work.  I figured it'd be faster using locate than using find or something.

- Blaise Pascal

#18 2004-06-30 10:26:50

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Wrapper, we don't need no steenking wrapper.

for i in `locate .pacsave .pacnew | grep \\(pacsave\\|pacnew\\)$`; do vimdiff `echo $i | rev | sed 's/^.*cap.//' | rev` $i; done

Did you want to delete the files afterward?

for i in `locate .pacsave .pacnew | grep \\(pacsave\\|pacnew\\)$`; do vimdiff `echo $i | rev | sed 's/^.*cap.//' | rev` $i; rm $i; done

I'll admit, a script would probably be more robust, but this does essentially that.  Oh yeah, your slocate db will have to be up to date for this to work.  I figured it'd be faster using locate than using find or something.

exactly something like this, but built in in the main souce of pacman
(that people do not need to type a lot or have scripts spread across the whole system)

#19 2004-06-30 15:03:38

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dp wrote:

(that people do not need to type a lot or have scripts spread across the whole system)

Silly Damir, that will make the pacman binary bigger for all those of us that don't care about this functionality. wink

Scripts don't have to be spread across the system, put them in one directory. Scripts are really really really really useful. That way you can set your system up just as you like it instead of as some programmer says it should be.

Dusty

#20 2004-06-30 17:48:59

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

dp wrote:

You forget your Unix koans: http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/unix- … usand.html

- Blaise Pascal

#21 2004-06-30 21:44:00

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:
dp wrote:

Silly Damir, that will make the pacman binary bigger for all those of us that don't care about this functionality. wink

Scripts don't have to be spread across the system, put them in one directory. Scripts are really really really really useful. That way you can set your system up just as you like it instead of as some programmer says it should be.

Dusty

it would grow only some lines, but gaining a feature :-)

i didnt meant searching for scripts physically (locate, ...), but by name:

[damir@Asteraceae /]$ [tab pressed]
Display all 4491 possibilities? (y or n)

ok, and now tell me who of us knows all of these 4491 possiblities? noone! and if you start adding scripts of different names, this list will grow longer and longer

it's more esthetically than really important

#22 2004-06-30 21:44:30

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:
dp wrote:

You forget your Unix koans: http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/unix- … usand.html

hey, that's a cool one lol thanx for the link

Board footer