You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-24 23:43:00

tgc

Firefox steals the focus

Hi,

I often have firefox opened in the background, and have two smaller applications (2 xterms or 2 nedit) open ontop of firefox.
When I want to change the focus from the one window to the other by moving the mouse, from one window over firefox in the backgound, to the other window, quite often firefox keeps the focus, instead of the second window, even when the mouse is clearly over the second window.
How can that be? Is it a bug in my DE? I'm using Xfce4. Any advise is welcome.

#2 2004-06-27 22:00:41

skoal
Website

Re: Firefox steals the focus

tgc wrote:

Hi,

I often have firefox opened in the background...quite often firefox keeps the focus

How can that be? Is it a bug in my DE? I'm using Xfce4...

Hmm.  I use XFCE4 as well.  I've tried to reinact your same problem on my machine, but to no avail.  Firefox does not keep the focus.

Here's what you may want to check:

Under "window manager" settings, "keyboard and focus", I have the following checked:

Click to focus
Automatically give focus to newly created windows
Raise on click

or, in my `~/.xfce4/settings/xfwm4.xml' file:

<option name="Xfwm/ClickToFocus" type="int" value="1"/>
<option name="Xfwm/FocusNewWindow" type="int" value="1"/>
<option name="Xfwm/FocusRaise" type="int" value="0"/>

which should correspond to the GUI settings mentioned before.

* I can scroll and type over any window the mouse is currently over, and none of them lose focus until I move the mouse over the other window (even if it's in the background).

#3 2004-06-27 22:06:40

tgc

Sorry, i should have been more specific, focus follows my mouse-pointer, not focus-on-click. So focus should travel from the first small window, to firefox, to the second window, but firefox keeps it.
BTW, i'm on a 667MHz P3, with a 32MB TNT2, just in case it should matter.

#4 2004-07-01 00:58:11

skoal
Website

tgc wrote:

Sorry, i should have been more specific, focus follows my mouse-pointer, not focus-on-click. ...

Hmm.  I tried to duplicate your problem again, using "focus follows mouse".  I've had 2 terms open plus firefox.  I've tried many combinations with firefox in background (but at least the sequence you describe as 1st window, firefox in background, then 2nd window) and i seem to get focus on the right window.  I can scroll in the window plus type.  Firefox gives up control.

It must be another setting...i'll try some other settings.  By the way, I use firefox 0.8 and XFCE4.  I don't know if an older version might be the problem.

Also, I am using "xfwm4" version 4.0.5.  I don't know how you installed XFCE4, but this is the window manager it uses, and I would assume the problems stem from it or some XFCE4 config setting.

Board footer