You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-23 12:04:34

damoppi

ATI Mobility HD 2700, vesafb and the desktop managers...

Hello folks,

I have some problems with my laptop (fsc amilo xi2550 with a ATI mobility HD 2700). If I use the "vga=773" argument in grub I see the two Archsymbols during boot (as it should be). But the colours of the two "icons" are strange, but thats not a real problem. Launching the X-Server from tty1 works pretty good, but only with the catalyst driver (vesa makes strange colours again and the opensource driver makes some flickering areas on my screen). Then I tried to use KDM (XDM as well) for login. The screen for login looks normal, but when I try to log in I get some coloured squares on the screen an a kernel-panic (scroll and caps lock leds are blinking). The logs show nothing special, unfortunately even not the kernelpanic or any reasons for it.
Is it possible, that this is a problem between vesafb and my videocard? Are there other framebuffers in the archkernel or do I have to build a kernel on my own? May vesafb-tng yield to better results? Does anyone else have similar problems or a possible solution?

Thanks for any reply.

Board footer