You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-23 06:35:15

colbert

If you have Hibernate working on desktop pc

Which method do you use? I built a new system few weeks ago so I'm ready to try again, but on old pc I tried using the Wiki and got as far as booting back in and having it fail at finding the swap drive, no matter the editing I did, leaving me with a kind of broken system. I really want to get it working, though.

Just looking for which method you use and any tips if possible.

#2 2008-02-23 15:50:46

fwojciec

Re: If you have Hibernate working on desktop pc

This is the "method" I use -- it's not hibernate but suspend though; I don't see the point of hibernating on a desktop system, it's not like I need to save battery life while the system sleeps.  All the same, it would hibernate just fine if I only changed 'echo "mem"...' to 'echo "disk"...'

#!/bin/dash

# Check if user is root
if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
then
        echo "You need to be root!";
exit 1
fi

# Stop the necessary daemons
/etc/rc.d/network stop
/etc/rc.d/mpd stop
/etc/rc.d/alsa stop

# Unload necessary modules
rmmod ath_pci
rmmod snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_ice1724 snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx snd_ac97_codec ac97_bus snd_ak4114 snd_pcm snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_pt2258 snd_i2c snd_ak4xxx_adda snd_mpu401_uart snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device snd soundcore

# Sleepytime
echo "mem" > /sys/power/state

# Start the necessary modules
modprobe snd_ice1724
modprobe ath_pci

# Restart the necessary services
/etc/rc.d/alsa start
/etc/rc.d/mpd start
/etc/rc.d/network start

If you're really set on using hibernate I'd recommend using uswsusp though...

#3 2008-02-23 16:01:48

SpookyET

#4 2008-02-23 17:27:21

colbert

Thanks guys, but I'm a bit confused. So if I install the uswsusp program, what exactly do I do to set up hibernate?

Or do I just use your script, fwojciec? Like ./hibernate? And if I simply change echo mem to echo disk, it knows what to do?

Just very hesitant to try without being as sure as I can be, hate to have another broken system or something hehe. Thanks again!

#5 2008-02-23 17:34:32

fwojciec

colbert wrote:

Thanks guys, but I'm a bit confused. So if I install the uswsusp program, what exactly do I do to set up hibernate?

Or do I just use your script, fwojciec? Like ./hibernate? And if I simply change echo mem to echo disk, it knows what to do?

Just very hesitant to try without being as sure as I can be, hate to have another broken system or something hehe. Thanks again!

In either case -- don't just copy and paste my script, it's specific to my hardware.  You can use it as a template to write your own, though.  If you want to use echo "disk" > ...  You'd need to have your /boot/grub/menu.lst configured properly so the kernel knows where to save the memory image to.  The big advantage of the uswsusp method is that it doesn't require fiddling with kernel or grub configuration -- it has a simple conf file where you set everything up.  For more info about uswsusp see this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sus … usp_method

Last edited by fwojciec (2008-02-23 17:52:36)

#6 2008-02-23 21:27:25

colbert

Okay, I have installed uswsusp, but what is pm-utils?

I'm going to follow the wiki again soon after I finish backing up stuff. I hope it works! smile

Board footer