You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-24 17:37:44

bslagowski

Resume Dims Screen

Hey everyone. I just iinstalled Arch yesterday and thus far I'm very impressed. I came from Fedora which I thought was absolutely fantastic, but Arch may trump that. smile I have a couple small issues remaining, hoping someone is able to help ..

1) This is the "major" issue. I suspend my laptop using pm-suspend. It works great. Screen blanks, I can hear the HDD winding down, etc. It resumes quickly too. However, when the screen comes back it's REALLY dim. The lowest setting possible. Normally I can use Fn and the up/down arrow keys to change brightness but these, too, don't work. I'd imagine some module is not getting reloaded on resume but I have no clue which. If I log out of X using CTRL+ALT+DEL it shuts down but it doesn't show the virtual terminal like usually. If I log in blindly and run "startx" everything comes back as normal - screen brightness and all. Thoughts?

2) Second, is anyone able to point me to a post or wiki article advising how to create a script to run when I close the laptop's lid?

Using a Dell Inspiron 1520 running OpenBox.

[ben@myhost ~]$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

#2 2008-02-24 19:14:17

Reasons

Re: Resume Dims Screen

For you first problem, I had it too and this is my thread on it where it was solved.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42404

For your second, look in the /etc/acpi/handlers.sh file. Put the script there where it belongs.

#3 2008-02-25 18:20:16

bslagowski

Re: Resume Dims Screen

Thanks for your link. I was aware of quirks but I was hoping this was a simpler issue - edit a power setting or something. Never that easy, eh? Still, can't complain. A bit of playing around got it to work. For anyone else with Dell Inspiron 1520 suspend to ram giving you a dim screen on resume, try:

pm-suspend --quirk-vbe-post

Thanks again Reasons. smile

Board footer