You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-25 07:07:58

MoonSwan

[Resolved with iDesk] Easy to use & setup icon display program

On my desktop machine, I do some gaming and when I do that I use fluxbox as my WM so that my resources are not consumed by the DE or WM I'm running in the background.  I've recently figured out how to use some utilities to be used in conjunction with fluxbox, IE fme (a fluxbox menu editing utility) and mmenu (menu generator).  I'm still trying to get fluxter to work though.  As an aside, my thanks to AUR & the people who uploaded these programs.

I realised not long ago that I'd like icons on my fluxbox desktop too, just so I don't have to go through menus when invariably I only end up using the same 2 or 3 programs in a session of gaming.  I acquired fbdesk but so far have had no luck in getting it to work properly.  I wondered at that point if others have made their fluxbox or openbox or other minimalist wm functional with icons.  If you have, would you please post which program(s) you used and perhaps give me an idea of whether it is easy to use or if it requires some amount of advanced scripting knowledge.

Thank you
MS

Last edited by MoonSwan (2008-02-25 21:32:09)

#2 2008-02-25 07:19:25

Ashren
Website

Re: [Resolved with iDesk] Easy to use & setup icon display program

Idesk is your answer. Really easy to set up.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14673

fbdesk sucks (imo).

#3 2008-02-25 21:31:23

MoonSwan

Re: [Resolved with iDesk] Easy to use & setup icon display program

I'd found iDesk and I apologise for not mentioning it in my first post.  I was hoping there might be another alternative I'd not found yet but if not, then I think I shall take your suggestion & use iDesk. 

I'll mark this solved unless someone else comes along and posts about a program other than fbdesk iDesk.

Board footer