You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-25 11:24:28

dyscoria

Why I love Ubuntu!

OK, not more than arch, but I do like how easy Ubuntu is for new Linux users. Check this feature out. It's just mind bendingly brilliant.

In the arch irc, when I mentioned I currently using my Ubuntu partition, many an arch user gave me an odd look tongue Basically I only have Ubuntu there to catch someone's eye with funky 3d cubes and the painting of 'MICROSOFT DIE' using fire, and possibly get them to use it. It's simply the best distros there is (cue disagreement) for converting a non-linux user, and that new feature above is going to work wonders not just for Ubuntu, but for Linux overall.

Some people hate Ubuntu fanboys, some people hate Ubuntu period. To be honest, the more people using ANY opensource distro the better, and Ubuntu are doing a fantastic job of this. (hmmm I think I got sidetracked big_smile The main point of this post was to mention the funky new feature cool)

[edit: to reduce confusion, wubi was what the link was supposed to link to]

Last edited by dyscoria (2008-02-29 11:15:24)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#2 2008-02-25 11:42:09

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Why I love Ubuntu!

wubi is cool! big_smile 

I tend to recommend Ubuntu to very new Linux users as well.  Purely because it is so easy to get set up.  Also, Arch isn't really a distribution for people who want to install Linux just out of curiosity...  too much setting up.  Once I was recommending Fedora but I started being disappointed with it at about version 4 (I think).

#3 2008-02-25 11:47:29

Ashren
Website

I agree that Ubuntu IS getting a better and better newbie distro - no question about it. I'll certainly consider installing it on my GF's laptop.

But it seems that for these new users the distance between shiny bling and linux goodness is getting longer and longer. Which is kind of sad for a linux fan like me, and certainly was what frustated me when I tried out xubuntu a year or two ago.

#4 2008-02-25 11:50:19

clarence

i must admit i install every release of ubuntu. ubuntu is great, seriously.

it's not about to drag me away from arch any time soonish. but for new users, it can't be beat.

fck art, lets dance.

#5 2008-02-25 12:12:54

Arkane

Since I'm not totally out of the new stage I like to use Ubuntu as an example for setting things up right (not saying it's always done the best way, but it gives me ideas that work).

And I'd also advise it to anyone who expresses some sort of interest in trying out Linux.

What does not kill you will hurt a lot.

#6 2008-02-25 13:03:40

Mikko777

Yes, ubuntu is great. Don't think there will be lots of disagreement here.

While arch does have the performance / customization edge over ubuntu it would be really hard to recommend this for a "normal" computer user. Just too much annoyances and tweaking roll

#7 2008-02-25 13:51:22

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#8 2008-02-25 14:03:36

Rumor

Dusty wrote:

I love this community. :-)

Agreed. The Arch community is generally very open and helpful. I am one of the many people here who came to Arch from Ubuntu.

There is a thriving Arch community that still participates on the Ubuntu forums here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=321

One of the most attractive things about the open source community as a whole is that beyond the requisite fanboys there really is very little competition along the lines of "my distro can beat up your distro!"

It goes without saying, of course, that our developers can beat up their developers . . . I mean, our developers can lift cars over their heads!

big_smile

Smarter than a speeding bullet
My Goodreads profile

#9 2008-02-25 15:03:54

moljac024

Ubuntu is truly great for starting out with linux, it was my first distro. But I don't like it that much now. In my opinion it's going in the direction windows is generally going, which we know from experience to be bad.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#10 2008-02-25 16:10:16

stonecrest

What does the "Access" button next to "Install" do?

I am a gated community.

#11 2008-02-25 18:34:07

Obi-Lan

Today one customer asked me to intall ubuntu to his lenovo t61p. First I had problems with video drivers but after I got that thing solved I was pretty amazed, bluetooth, wlan, some function buttons etc worked out-of-box. Only thing that didn't work was sleep and hibernate modes but I think this is becaus nvidias binary driver.

#12 2008-02-25 18:54:30

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

wow neat.
They got kvm and virt-manager in the base install.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#13 2008-02-25 19:17:57

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I owe Ubuntu my gratitude for liberating me from Windows big_smile
I have abandoned it, but I will always respect that project. One of the best "features" of Ubuntu is surely the top notch community they have. I was very lucky to end up here in the Arch community, because I feel the same atmosphere here smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#14 2008-02-25 20:00:33

ornitorrincos
Forum Fellow

ubuntu was fine at least when I used it, but now it seems to be getting huge, trying to provide everything in the default install and I had some frustrating problems(specially with cups), also it was some versions ago so I suppose it is polished by now.

PC-BSD is also a nice environment, needs some work but I liked it.

-$: file /dev/zero
/dev/zero: symbolic link to '/dev/brain'

#15 2008-02-26 00:53:01

dyscoria

You WON'T be surprised to hear that Ubuntu was one of the first distros I tried (bout 4 months back).
You WILL be surprised to hear that it gave me a huge amount of headaches and put me off Ubuntu for quite some time (a long story involving an external USB hard drive, a BIOS that doesn't support booting from USB, and an XP partition I could no longer get into tongue suffice to say, I should've just installed it alongside XP and overwrote the MBR anyway).

That bad experience really put me off Ubuntu for a while, but after realising it was my incompetence not Ubuntu's installer that caused the problems, the sour grapes de-soured and now I really think it's developing brilliantly. Seems we're in agreement here too smile

knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#16 2008-02-26 01:24:29

bslagowski

Allan wrote:

Once I was recommending Fedora but I started being disappointed with it at about version 4 (I think).

Oh man. You gotta check it out again. Fedora 8 is great. F9 Alpha is looking pretty nice, too.

More on topic, I started on Ubuntu about two years ago. Since then I've hopped to Sidux, Fedora, and now Arch. I plan to install Ubuntu on a couple of old boxes this summer - maybe even set up a server. I'm working on converting my younger brothers, and I'm hoping a few flicks of the compiz cube will have them drooling. wink

#17 2008-02-26 10:21:50

xd-0
Website

As many other Ubuntu was my first distro, but it was some time ago, so it was'nt that user friendlyas it is now.
It is nr1 in converting users to Linux, and for that I am very grateful. Now when the LTS version is comming out I think it will get a big upswing in users.

As I said before, GNU/Linux is about choice, and therefore we have so many distros.
And as long as we get better at communicating with each other, we have a bright future.

The important thing is that we communicate over the boundaries. that devs

#18 2008-02-26 10:43:56

KimTjik

bslagowski wrote:
Allan wrote:

Once I was recommending Fedora but I started being disappointed with it at about version 4 (I think).

Oh man. You gotta check it out again. Fedora 8 is great. F9 Alpha is looking pretty nice, too.

I want to second that. Fedora had a ruff time and some releases suggested it lacked a clear vision. Nowadays I would without doubt say that Fedora is back and stronger than ever before. Arch is my favourite desktop distro, but Fedora is a good option for a lot of computing.

#19 2008-02-26 10:49:03

dyscoria

Fedora 8 was this distro that really brought me deeper into linux. It was my first real longer-term distro (as opposed to 2 days use) and stayed with it for 6 weeks or so. It's meant to be 'bleeding edge' and therefore buggy and all that, but I had so few problems. I would second the recommendations of Fedora here cool

#20 2008-02-26 11:04:35

wonder
Developer
Website

dyscoria wrote:

OK, not more than arch, but I do like how easy Ubuntu is for new Linux users. Check this feature out. It's just mind bendingly brilliant.

some features like vnc client, brasero, gvfs, gnome system monitor will be in the next version of gnome smile

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#21 2008-02-26 12:05:22

Allan
Pacman
Website

KimTjik wrote:
bslagowski wrote:
Allan wrote:

I want to second that. Fedora had a ruff time and some releases suggested it lacked a clear vision. Nowadays I would without doubt say that Fedora is back and stronger than ever before. Arch is my favourite desktop distro, but Fedora is a good option for a lot of computing.

I may give it a go when Fedora 9 comes out.  I had heard good things about Fedora 8 but was too lazy to get around to trying it....

#22 2008-02-26 12:49:27

moljac024

I'll also say that fedora is a great distribution! I was using Fedora 7 since it's release and I loved it, had 0 problems with it. I was a little disappointed by Fedora 8 since it was way too buggier but that could have been just me.

One thing that irritates me is that Fedora always has to be special and have their own different way of doing almost everything....

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#23 2008-02-26 15:33:11

eerok

I built a new machine last month, and the first OS I put on was Ubuntu Gutsy because I knew that I could slap it on fast in a complete enough form to check out the hardware.  It's really a pretty good OS these days, though I ended up reformatting that partition.  Now the only Ubuntu I have is KDE4 on Hardy Heron -- just checking it out  because I wanted to see if the new version would help me like KDE.  (Sorry, never have.)

But I actually got my sister to use Ubuntu a bit, which is amazing since she's the kind of person who needs help when she wants to copy and paste something in Windows.

It's a good distro for newbies, and decent enough for serious use.  But I prefer rolling releases like Arch, and I like the Arch Way.

noobus in perpetuus

#24 2008-02-26 19:33:17

Lord Illidan

I have switched to Arch from Ubuntu. However, the rest of the family uses Ubuntu..I like Arch, it's fast, and good for the experienced user.

#25 2008-02-26 20:06:40

F

I just pray to God that Arch never ends up like Ubuntu.

That is all.

Board footer