You are not logged in.

#26 2008-02-26 20:18:10

stavrosg
Website

Re: Why I love Ubuntu!

Ubuntu is nice for the new converts, indeed. And as such I recommend it.
I was (un?)fortunate enough to start using linux before ubuntu was around, and wuickly got spoiled by slackware's simplicity.
Thus, moving to Arch was the natural thing to do (after a really short stint with ubuntu warty)

But I could never use it myself.

#27 2008-02-26 21:04:45

SpookyET

I switched to Linux in December. Ubuntu was the distribution. It gave me headaches. It could not do what I want it to do, and the packages I needed dependent on a newer version of libc6. Backports was pretty stale. So, I jumped ship to Fedora. I hate RPM. Went back to Ubuntu. Then, finally, I moved to Arch. I installed arch 4-5 times to get the experience.

I really like a rolling distro.

#28 2008-02-26 22:25:17

PJ

Not that it matter but Wubi reminds me of some old distributions that use to install on UMSDOS. I think it's nice to see this kind of installation method reappear.

#29 2008-02-26 23:44:31

Jessehk

I'm using Ubuntu ATM only because they do some magic that has my iPod working flawlessly with Amarok. Even though I've tried desperately, I've not been able to replicate it on Arch. It just doesn't work...

Last edited by Jessehk (2008-02-26 23:44:44)

#30 2008-02-27 01:13:23

SpookyET

Jessehk wrote:

I'm using Ubuntu ATM only because they do some magic that has my iPod working flawlessly with Amarok. Even though I've tried desperately, I've not been able to replicate it on Arch. It just doesn't work...

My ipod is detected in Banshee in Arch. But, it seems to be mounted as read only.

#31 2008-02-27 01:19:11

dyscoria

Rockbox is the best thing that has happened to my ipodlinux incompatable 5th gen ipod. No need for Amarok or gtkpod at all. You can simply copy and paste directories onto the ipod and they can be navigated to using the ipod cool And the added bonus of playing my .flac files of course big_smile

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#32 2008-02-27 07:27:05

Susu
Website

dyscoria wrote:

Rockbox is the best thing that has happened to my ipodlinux incompatable 5th gen ipod. No need for Amarok or gtkpod at all. You can simply copy and paste directories onto the ipod and they can be navigated to using the ipod cool And the added bonus of playing my .flac files of course big_smile

Yeah, Rockbox is awesome. Installed it maybe 1,5 years ago on my iRiver H320 and it's much better than the original firmware player thingy. Maybe I should update...it's been a while...

Album reviews (in german): http://schallwelle.filzo.de

#33 2008-02-27 08:29:45

Rasi
Website

i seem to be a minority here, but i found arch linux to be easier than ubuntu... In Ubuntu IF i had to configure anything, i just didnt know where to look, configuration files are EVERYWHERE!

in arch i have to configure things more often, agreed, but at least all config files are in /etc, where they belong and i dont have to use some crappy dpkg-configure option...

*Edit* plus compiling things couldnt get any easier than in arch linux (aur anyone?)

Last edited by Rasi (2008-02-27 08:30:14)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#34 2008-02-27 08:58:40

Arkane

Yeah, in Ubuntu the current effort is put more into making "superficial" administration easier rather than helping people tinker with the basis themselves. But that's also a good model; you can do most of your stuff easily, and when you need to do configure something complicated you simply ask on the forums, and people will give you a solution that works.

Obviously, that vision is mainly aimed at people who want to use their computer, and not play/tinker with it. It's not a problem, because the Ubuntu community is very open-minded about other distros and doesn't try to pretend they're better at everything. This way, Ubuntu can be a reliable solution for people who want a stable environment, and a take-off platform for the others, to get accustomed to things before they try a more "difficult" distro. And n that area the strong presence of the Arch community in the Ubuntu forums is an extremely good thing because Arch and Ubuntu complement each other fairly well. Arch is a distro that gives you the keys and the manual, bridging the usual gap between beginner-oriented distros and advanced ones (many thanks to the Beginner's Guide and its many useful links for teaching me half of what I know about Linux).

All in all I really love Ubuntu tongue.

Last edited by Arkane (2008-02-27 09:00:31)

What does not kill you will hurt a lot.

#35 2008-02-27 08:59:22

Noneus
Website

Well in my eyes Ubuntu is a great distribution. I use it on my root-server because it didn't take me long to get all the services I want. But for my workstation and Laptop I like arch more. It always has the latest and greatest. If there are new versions, they are in arch's repos pretty quick. And if they are not, it's easy to just compile it yourself. Arch's buildsystem is just great.

#36 2008-02-27 09:49:39

chicha

I like Ubuntu and Fedora. I think not only they are good distro but they also bring a lot to Free Software and the OpenSource community.

But there is something I really do not like in those distro : package management. It is really a pain to create a package, to trick a package on your own or to update a package to a newer version which is not yet available at distro level.

I have deeply looked at RPM, DEB, Portage, Conary and other exotic package management (from Sourcemage, Nasgaia and more).
I think Pacman is really the best one because it is simple for packagers and users. All others use macros or functions or even advanced scripting language (Python for conary) which make them hard to understand and trick.

One thing which illustrates this very well in my opinion is Launchpad's PPA : it brings Ubuntu to the stage Archlinux was a long time ago, before AUR. Users have to add many additional package repositories with all the drawbacks it implies when comes the time to upgrade to a newer distro version. PPA may sounds great at a first sight. But it is far away from the usability of AUR.

I think core+extra+community/AUR repositories are definitly the right way to solve the problem of core developer vs user contributed packages.

#37 2008-02-27 09:54:29

Ashren
Website

Chicha, I agree wholeheartedly. Perhaps it would be a good idea to create a ubunto flavour with pacman instead of apt-get, as a way to open peoples eyes to how great pacman really is.

I have no idea if this would hard or not, but I guess that ubuntu repositories are quite different than arches.

#38 2008-02-27 12:29:55

ornitorrincos
Forum Fellow

i seem to be a minority here, but i found arch linux to be easier than ubuntu... In Ubuntu IF i had to configure anything, i just didn't know where to look, configuration files are EVERYWHERE!

I don't think you are a minority, you will always use the easiest solution for you(in this case for us is arch)

Chicha, I agree wholeheartedly. Perhaps it would be a good idea to create a ubunto flavour with pacman instead of apt-get, as a way to open peoples eyes to how great pacman really is.

I have no idea if this would hard or not, but I guess that ubuntu repositories are quite different than arches.

I suppose it would be easier to make an arch version similar to ubuntu

-$: file /dev/zero
/dev/zero: symbolic link to '/dev/brain'

#39 2008-02-27 12:31:01

b9anders

Ashren wrote:

something like what Sabayon is to gentoo?

it would be an interesting project.

#40 2008-02-27 15:42:09

dyscoria

pah, let Arch be Arch and Ubuntu be Ubuntu

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#41 2008-02-27 17:19:22

smarcher
Website

I love Ubuntu, though somehow I always come back to Arch! big_smile I have installed it on my Sony Vaio CR. Not all things work but I am happy. For me the USP of Arch is the sheer speed. It's speed leaves Ubuntu users speechless.

I do have some gripes about Arch. I am never sure of what to have in the daemons list in rc.conf, etc.

Long live Arch. For me it is the best distro.

Sudeep

#42 2008-02-27 18:53:00

gazj
Website

I have always liked the idea of Slackware with Pacman.  It's like arch but for i386 smile

#43 2008-02-27 19:25:24

Hide

definitely a great idea!

#44 2008-02-27 20:31:08

eerok

gazj wrote:

I have always liked the idea of Slackware with Pacman.  It's like arch but for i386 smile

Slarchware?  It doesn't exactly roll trippingly off the tongue, but it's an interesting idea.

noobus in perpetuus

#45 2008-02-27 20:34:28

gazj
Website

eerok wrote:
gazj wrote:

Slarchware?  It doesn't exactly roll trippingly off the tongue, but it's an interesting idea.

I was thinking more SlackPacked tongue

I like the idea, although it wouldn't be using pacman's full features of rolling release it would still be cool, it's a shame I wouldn't really know where to start sad

Last edited by gazj (2008-02-27 20:35:24)

#46 2008-02-27 23:44:44

freakcode
Website

Ubuntu is a great distro, it's putting a spotlight for Linux on desktop and making good efforts on that. Also, being a Gnome oriented-distro, it also helped putting more momentum on Gnome and Gnome-based apps development, that from some time ago was almost stalled.

I'm a long time Linux user (since 2003), but before Arch was using Ubuntu with success. The only 2 weak points of Ubuntu for me (as a workstation / Linux user) are the system configuration options (not easy to configure things by hand, and yet lack of powerful and extent GUI configuration tools), and the release cycle policy (I can't stand waiting 6 months for a new, necessary feature - yet, compiling and making packages by hand in Ubuntu is a lot harder).

So, I love the power Arch gives me, but I do recognize the good job Ubuntu does for simple users.

#47 2008-02-29 00:12:36

coarseSand

Ubuntu was my novice distro, which I have mixed feelings saying. It's really good as an in to the Linux world, but I'm glad it's no longer my main system. Coming at the Ubuntu issue from where I am now, the problem I think a lot of experienced Linux users have is that far too many people seem to stay with Ubuntu instead of progressing (not that I'm a Linux pro myself yet, still learning). Ubuntu is Linux with training wheels, Arch is barebones linux goodness.

Susu wrote:
dyscoria wrote:

Yeah, Rockbox is awesome. Installed it maybe 1,5 years ago on my iRiver H320 and it's much better than the original firmware player thingy. Maybe I should update...it's been a while...

Thirded, Rockbox is amazing. I have it on my Sansa e200 using charles' build from the Anything But iPod forums. Works beautifully.

vim? EMACS? Pssh, I code in Scribus.

#48 2008-02-29 02:54:45

B-Con
Website

I don't get it, what's so fascinating about the OP link? That Ubuntu is going to ship with a pre-installed simple bittorrent manager?

Bad news:

b-con@beacon:~$ pacman -Ss transmission
extra/transmission 1.05-1
    A free, lightweight BitTorrent client with an intuitive interface

Someone leaked the source, every distro has it in their repo's.

The only thing that makes Ubuntu special is how much software it pre-installs and pre-configures. Nice, yes, but I can do all that on my own. It's very newbie friendly, but that's exactly why I don't like it, I don't want to be treated like a baby.

Last edited by B-Con (2008-02-29 02:55:04)

#49 2008-02-29 09:05:58

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

B-Con wrote:

I don't get it, what's so fascinating about the OP link? That Ubuntu is going to ship with a pre-installed simple bittorrent manager?

No, the good news is Wubi:

There is a new installation option for Windows users. Wubi allows users to install and uninstall Ubuntu like any other Windows application. It does not require a dedicated partition, nor does it affect the existing bootloader, yet users can experience a dual-boot setup almost identical to a full installation. Wubi works with a physical CD or in stand-alone mode, by downloading an appropriate ISO to install from. It can be found on the root of the CD as Wubi.exe. A full installation within a dedicated partition is still recommended, but Wubi is a great way to try Ubuntu for a few days and weeks before committing dedicated disk resources.

Just scroll down the page and you'll see.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#50 2008-02-29 10:46:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

SpookyET wrote:

I really like a rolling distro.

Personally, I prefer a rockin' distro. tongue

Board footer