You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-06 23:55:06

hotsauce

[Solved] eqe error (latex equation editor)

Hi there, I'm trying to get that piece of software to work. Would be very useful but I get an error output I would like someone to look at.

First, .tex files compile great with equations, and very simple equations (eg: 1+2=4) work right, but as soon as I put in some ^ or _ then it doesn't work.

I would appreciate if someone is able to help me as there is not much docs on that program around.

Here's a sample error log:

No file temp_eqedit_iVeHp.aux.
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd)
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/t1ptm.fd)
! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted> 
                $
l.29 1^
       1=2
? 
! Emergency stop.
<inserted> 
                $
l.29 1^
       1=2
No pages of output.
Transcript written on temp_eqedit_iVeHp.log.
!!! error: command 'latex /tmp/temp_eqedit_iVeHp.tex' failed with error code 256 

The temp file name seems randomly generated. It changes everytime, it's not only a missing file.

#2 2006-12-07 01:15:46

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] eqe error (latex equation editor)

Maybe it's a problem with the .tex file. Could you post the section that contains the error?

#3 2006-12-07 08:57:38

janwil

I do not know much about eqe, but I feel that all the same and much more can be accomplished with LyX. Give

pacman -S lyx

a try!

Jan

#4 2006-12-07 15:36:12

sh__

It seems to be complaining about missing $'s. In LaTeX, math formulas must be wrappes inside a pair of $'s:

$sqrt{4} = 2^{2-1}$

#5 2006-12-07 16:34:35

arooaroo
Website

Can't see any thing wrong with that equation. Perhaps there's another one before which is causing the problems?

I'm not sure what eqe is and how it works. Are you trying to compile the tex file with latex yourself, or is it this eqe program that's trying to run latex in the background?

#6 2006-12-07 20:17:19

hotsauce

janwil wrote:

I do not know much about eqe, but I feel that all the same and much more can be accomplished with LyX.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer editing the tex file in a normal text editor. Lyx was good when I started with latex, but now I feel a text file is more portable and just simpler.

arooaroo wrote:

I'm not sure what eqe is and how it works. Are you trying to compile the tex file with latex yourself, or is it this eqe program that's trying to run latex in the background?

Eqe is a program that pops up a gui with text field and display window where you can type in an equation, press enter and see the result immediately. That way you don't have to compile the whole tex file to see if you got it right. You can also drag/drop the picture that it produces.

As far as I can see, what eqe does is it creates a temp file with a dummy tex file in /tmp, crunches it and extracts the picture from it to display it. I think it can use a user defined/edited template as a base and after 1 or 2 tries it doesn't seem to work much better by changing it.

I am not at home at the moment so I will report with more details when I get back tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

Vince

#7 2006-12-07 20:18:41

hotsauce

sh__ wrote:

It seems to be complaining about missing $'s. In LaTeX, math formulas must be wrappes inside a pair of $'s:

$sqrt{4} = 2^{2-1}$

In eqe, I am not supposed to wrap the equation in anything. It's just type-enter.

I suppose that means the template tex file is wrong or it's an internal problem with the software...

#8 2006-12-07 21:24:09

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Post the temp latex file. It might help us figuring out the problem. Maybe you're entering an invalid expression.

If you don't mind using emacs, you could try auctex. It adds extra functionality like displaying formated equations and figures directly in emacs.

#9 2006-12-07 23:08:10

hotsauce

Well well. Just came home and tried wrapping "$"s around my formula as sh__ suggested and it works perfect.

A bit strange as some formulas work without it. I don't think eqe's designed to need them. Probably a bug.

Anyway, it works now so thanks to everyone who looked and tried help!

Vincent

#10 2006-12-08 10:08:24

arooaroo
Website

Blimey, I didn't read this close enough to spot that you weren't included the $ signs. I've just looked at the eqe homepage and you'll see that the screenshot there includes dollar signs. I don't think it's a bug. You can write 1 + x = x in Latex and it will not complain. It won't look as good as if you put $...$ around but at least it's valid. However, once you stick in commands like sqrt which only work within a maths environment then you need to declare with the $ command.

Also, note that there is a difference between $ and $$ wrappers which I assume eqe would take into account.

#11 2006-12-08 13:45:20

hotsauce

well well well, that seems to be another blatant case of user incompetence hehe.

You are right, the screenshot clearly shows the dollar sign. I was thrown off by the simple fact I could get a good output with x+1-8=0 . I'm only starting with latex equations and still have not developped all the reflexes I guess.

Thanks very much for looking.

It is a quite good program I think. useful for beginners who are not to sure yet their equations will turn out fine. Also to create .png of all equations quickly. Nice...

Ciao

Vince

#12 2008-02-26 20:51:55

FJ
Website

Just noticed that eqe has been removed from AUR and apparently has not moved to the official repos or Community.  I used to maintain this one but no longer.  Wonder why it was removed?  It was a nice little program.  I don't run Arch anymore, but I hope someone else will upload it once again.

#13 2008-02-27 06:32:05

Stefan Husmann

FJ wrote:

Just noticed that eqe has been removed from AUR and apparently has not moved to the official repos or Community.  I used to maintain this one but no longer.  Wonder why it was removed?  It was a nice little program.  I don't run Arch anymore, but I hope someone else will upload it once again.

I adopted it yesterday and made a new package. But unfortunately I got an error with the file Event.so (symbol not found). Since I got this error also with texdoctk I believe it is not related to eqe and made a bugreport (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9695?str … &closedto=) . But for now it makes eqe unusable. I will put it back once the problem is solved.

#14 2008-02-27 06:56:47

Stefan Husmann

I Think the problem is solved. I upload eqe again. It was due to an issue with perl 5.10 and perl-tk. They do not like each other.

#15 2008-02-27 10:27:55

FJ
Website

Thanks, Stefan, for putting my mind at ease.

Board footer