You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-28 18:16:40

Gruntz

Arch on Acer TravemMate 7520

Hi all.

I am planing to buy a new laptop. I liked Acer TravelMate 7520. Here is the specification of the machine from the acer web site. I would like to know, is all the hardware going to work properly with Arch GNU/Linux and with GNU/Linux based operation systems at all. I have now Fujitsu-Siemens with VIA VN8896 video card, and I have a lot of problems with the video card. There is no proper driver from VIA, and OpenChrome are making some kind of driver, but there is no 3D support yet. So I would like to know, am I going to have problems with Acer TravelMate 7520. It will be with Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset. Are there any problems with that video card. Here is the exact machine that I want to buy, but it is in bulgarian language. I hope you will understand the specifications, just reading the english text.

Thank you.

#2 2008-02-28 22:26:08

MoonSwan

Re: Arch on Acer TravemMate 7520

I can't speak for the Intel parts or the newer wifi nic inside but the rest of it should work with the exception of the card reader if they used an ENE Tech chip in it.  My acer has the ENE chip and I can't get it to work as yet on pclos though I've not tried on arch.  The ati video chip should work ok and if you don't need 3d, I'd suggest using the open source drivers for that.

MS

Board footer