You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-08 16:57:00

kepop

Floppy install problems

I'm trying to install arch on my toshiba laptop, it doesn't have either cd or usb, but an ethernet jack and a floppy reader. The floppy bootup works perfectly fine, but when I come to the part of selecting what mirror I wish to download the package-list from all returns errors ("Error fetching package list from server"). Does anyone know how to fix this?

Oh, the internet connection works perfectly fine I'm able to ping websites e.g. google.

#2 2008-01-08 18:15:45

ProzacR

Re: Floppy install problems

Maybe floppy is too old? Look into archlinux.org core repository is used now instead of base. Just edit /etc/pacman.conf

#3 2008-01-10 14:32:35

kepop

Well this isn't a pacman issue since pacman is one of tha packages that will be downloaded... But well I checked the mirrors file, and the place where it's searching for the package list is:

e.g. ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/i686

So that looks as it should?

Last edited by kepop (2008-01-10 14:38:43)

#4 2008-02-13 20:58:32

leo2501

where i can get the floppy disk to install this way? i have a toshiba notebook with not working cd drive and it doesnt boot from usb, so i will need those floppys

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#5 2008-02-29 20:54:16

aboutreefitty

Here is a quote from the official installation guide:

If you are presented an error while fetching the package database, you should either choose another FTP mirror, make sure your network is working at all, and you didn't slip any typos into your custom server address. You might also have goofed mounting of your source media in the /src directory, if you chose that option. Read the messages presented to you carefully, in most cases all you need is a little tweaking of the directory layout on your source media or server, respectively.

#6 2008-04-21 14:06:14

athaki

I was able to get to the package selection screen using the floppy install but now it failed to download pacman.  It told me to try again and now it says "Do you want to keep the downloaded packages?  You can delete them later by running 'pacman -S --clean'"  I choose "yes"  and it repeatedly says "One or more packages failed to download.  ou can try again by re-selecting  Install packages from the main menu.  on the info console ctrl-alt-f5 I get the following messages
:: Synchronizing ackage databases. . .
warning: failed to get filesieze for current.db.tar.gz
warning: failed to get mtime for current.db.tar.gz

failed downloading current.db.tar.gz from mir1.archlinuxfr.org:  550 failed to open file. 

failed to synchronize current
error: could not open sync database: current
have you used --refresh yet?

When I try to use this package set ftp://mir1.archlinuxfr.org/archlinux/current/os/i686/
it cannot file the packages.txt file because it isn't in it's own folder called 'setup' which is where the floppy disk install is told to locate the file. 

I had been using ftp://mir1.archlinuxfr.org/archlinux/0.7.1/os/i686/ since it does have the setup directory but it just won't work.  So obviously the floppy images I downloaded from mir1.archlinuxfr.org are pointless and I am up the creek without a paddle.  I wish I had a working cd-rom drive as life would be so much easier.

That quote from the official installation guide, while helpful to some, has no effect on my situation.  Obviously the floppy disk install method is no longer in service so I'll just have to wait to try arch linux.  Unfortunately, this also means I am without a computer until I can get said cd-rom drive. 

The main point is that FLOPPY DRIVE FTP INSTALL NO LONGER IS SUPPORTED.  Am I correct?

Last edited by athaki (2008-04-21 14:13:51)

Board footer