You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-29 23:01:01

mcmillan

Mysterious leftover files in /lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH

I recently noticed I have files is /lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH/ which is odd since I've upgraded to 2.6.24. This directory contains the following files:

modules.alias
modules.ieee1394map
modules.ofmap
modules.symbols
modules.ccwmap
modules.inputmap
modules.pcimap
modules.usbmap
modules.dep
modules.isapnpmap
modules.seriomap

Pacman tells me that none of these belong to any packages.  The timestamp for them all shows the last access was the same time I removed the iwlwifi driver package. It seems like something went wrong with that uninstall and left some files behind. I thought about trying to reinstall iwlwifi to confirm that these originally belonged there and possibly get it to remove them if I remove that package again. However it looks like iwlwifi has been dropped from the repositories, I still have a PKGBUILD from abs, though it wouldn't seem to do much good without the 2.6.23 kernel.

Can anyone confirm if my thinking is along the right lines? Would it be safe to remove this directory manually if it really is just some left behind files from a removed package?

#2 2008-03-01 00:58:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Mysterious leftover files in /lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH

Perfectly safe to remove that dir, yes. All the action has now moved to /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH, where you will find an identically named set of files.

FYI, iwlwifi is no longer in extra because those modules have been merged into the mainline kernel.

#3 2008-03-01 04:48:46

mcmillan

Re: Mysterious leftover files in /lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH

Thanks tomk. Yeah I knew that iwlwifi was merged into the main kernel. I just had a random idea that installing and uninstalling it again. Then kind of disappointed to discover it had been removed, which shouldn't have been too shocking I admit.

Board footer